self check outs in supermarkets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love 'em. No 'how are you today' forced conversations, no food zooming down the conveyor built at you as you Krypton factor the groceries into the bag, no waiting as there are 4 tills in place of one normal one, in fact the more the merrier. They're dead easy to use and if something goes wrong, help is almost immediate. If I was worried about corporate excess I wouldn't shop there.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
They have them in the B&Q by us, the scanners have long leads on them for when you have a large item to scan. Still quite amusing to see people picking up 25kg bags of cement and try to scan them like a tin of beans.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Fab Foodie said:
I don't want 'Self-Service' it's a modern day Euphamism for telling us that companies can't be arsed or don't wish to pay people to help their customers.
We knew that already, though. What's news?

taxing

vernon said:
That is a verbiose attempt at justifying theft.

See how far your justification would get you in a magistrates' court.

When I end up in magistrates' court for putting two sweet potatoes through as potatoes I'll let you know so you can come and gloat. Hope you enjoy thinking about how much money it will cost the store to get me there in terms of employee time. I wonder if they will provide a highly paid expert who will state that selecting 'potato' instead of 'sweet potato' on the fruit and veg screen couldn't be caused by carelessness, but is actually a sign of deranged criminal mind. Next it'll be benefit fraud, and before you know it I'll be mugging old ladies on pension day.

Davidc

Guru
My panniers completely defeat the things in one of the local Sainsbury stores. The supervisors know me and come and stand beside me if I turn up with them. It's especially acute, at the reset after every item level, if I already have anything in them before I start. It must cost Sainsbury's more to provide me with my own supervisor than it does for a normal checkout person.

The up-side is that I can put everything through in the order I want to, so that the pannier loading is sensible.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I only use them reluctantly.

Since I'm doing some of the work for the supermarket, I'd be happier to use them if there were a discount for doing so. And I don't mean the silly micro-percentage you get for using a loyalty card.

HLaB said:
I've just remembered another reason why I sometimes like them, they're handy for getting rid of change, if you want change though they're not always predictable.
Which is another reason why I use them first thing on Monday. At weekends my pocket is invariably rattling with too many coins; this is a consequence of market shopping on the Saturday...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Davidc said:
The up-side is that I can put everything through in the order I want to, so that the pannier loading is sensible.

I achieve that by simply putting the items on the checkout belt in the right order, for the cashier to pick up...

I've avoided using the self service things - I don't need to rush, I never wait more than a few minutes anyway. If anyone tried to patronise me for not doing so, I think I'd have something to say...

The only thing that does sometimes irritate me about supermarket cashiers is that they are forced to ask if you need help packing, even if all you've got is one onion and a loaf.

Plax

Guru
I don't mind the Tesco ones and will use them if I only have a few items.

I absolutely loath the Morrisons ones though. I'm normally a polite laid back young lady, but the Morrisons self service checkouts always make me start swearing profusely and frothing at the mouth.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tim Bennet. said:
You must let us have the recipe you had in mind that day.

:sad: LOL

What, you mean you've never tried bread and onion pudding? Best served with custard and a garnish of pilchard.

(Actually, it could have been bread sauce, I suppose).

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The programming can be a bit odd - should I really need supervisor approval to buy white spirit?

I suppose I could use it for fire raising but I suspect it was in the same category as methylated spirit!!!!

Top Bottom