self check outs in supermarkets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did put my whole Christmas shopping through one of them. I still beat the queue.. although I think for the space, another few tills might have been used for the peak period. I had used them before so everything was pretty straightforward... and it did seem to be a very cheap Christmas shopping trolley as many of the items the labels couldn't be scanned so went straight in the bag. I try and stay out of the supermarkets as much as possible, or only go in there with a list and if its not on the list, it ain't bought. otherwise as in the past end up with a trolley of stuff you don't need.

mark barker

That seems daft - unless you were trying to routinely steal loose veg or something by not weighing it. Heavy doesn't necessarily mean more expensive anyway.
When you scan any item the computer knows how heavy that product is, so that is the weight that the system is expecting to add to the bag. In a local store a while back there was a bloke caught with a collection of barcodes from the supermarkets own brand products which he was scanning and placing premium products in the bags. The computer didn't pick up on this as the weight was correct, but he was seen by the staff.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
When you scan any item the computer knows how heavy that product is, so that is the weight that the system is expecting to add to the bag. In a local store a while back there was a bloke caught with a collection of barcodes from the supermarkets own brand products which he was scanning and placing premium products in the bags. The computer didn't pick up on this as the weight was correct, but he was seen by the staff.

Unexpected tea-leaf in bagging area ...
happy.gif

When I put things in my backpack it never seems to register. For every item it protests and calls a responsible adult over so they can check I'm packing my bag properly.
It is beyond me how the system was allowed to go live with a bug like this still present.

mark barker

When I put things in my backpack it never seems to register. For every item it protests and calls a responsible adult over so they can check I'm packing my bag properly.
It is beyond me how the system was allowed to go live with a bug like this still present.
Again it comes down to the weight... Your bag is heavier than the carrier bags the supermarket provides. I think the jute bags trigger the system as well. Although not ideal, the easiest way around it would be to use carrier bags and then put them in the rucksack afterwards. Not exactly environmentally sound though!

XmisterIS

At my local big name supermarkets (ASDA, Sainsbury, Tesco), they have an "I brought my own bag" option - it weighs your bag first, then you can start packing.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
At my local big name supermarkets (ASDA, Sainsbury, Tesco), they have an "I brought my own bag" option - it weighs your bag first, then you can start packing.

Yes, and that works fine as long as your bag is of virtually negligible weight - like a plastic carrier bag. If it's a sturdy pannier, the checkout scales can no longer detect when you've put in a packet of razor blades, or a biro, or a toothbrush, or a birthday card, or a USB geek stick, or a box of matches, or a pair of shoelaces... or any one of a hundred other light things they sell.

It's the same at B&Q. If you buy something of reasonable weight and something very light, I've learned always to scan the light things first. Otherwise, the presence of the heavy thing on the scale stops it being able to detect the light thing and you get "PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN BAGGING AREA.... PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN BAGGING AREA... PLEASE..." Fortunately at my local B&Q, the lad who minds the self-checkouts is wise to this.

But it's an obvious bug that should have been fixed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
These self scanning isles seem to be there to annoy parents - the kids love them...argh - I'd rather talk to a person. Such a faff getting the bags just right, then moving the full one to the back, argh.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
My Mum was using one at her local Tesco just the other week, and got mighty confused when the thing kept telling her that there was 'an unexpected item in the bagging area'. She looked round and noticed that my 95yr-old grandad had sat down there to rest his crippled legs.....:biggrin:

XmisterIS

Yes, and that works fine as long as your bag is of virtually negligible weight - like a plastic carrier bag. If it's a sturdy pannier, the checkout scales can no longer detect when you've put in a packet of razor blades, or a biro, or a toothbrush, or a birthday card, or a USB geek stick, or a box of matches, or a pair of shoelaces... or any one of a hundred other light things they sell.

It's the same at B&Q. If you buy something of reasonable weight and something very light, I've learned always to scan the light things first. Otherwise, the presence of the heavy thing on the scale stops it being able to detect the light thing and you get "PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN BAGGING AREA.... PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN BAGGING AREA... PLEASE..." Fortunately at my local B&Q, the lad who minds the self-checkouts is wise to this.

But it's an obvious bug that should have been fixed.

I dunno ... I have a backpack which I use when shopping by bike; it's certainly not of negligible weight and the checkouts seem ok with it ... perhaps it's just under a weight where they get confused!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I don't mind them... when they do what I want them to do (which is not to complain about unexpected items which aren't even there yet). I do find myself talking to them though... you know the conversations such as "Give me a bloody chance to put the item down properly before you bitch about it." or "No, there is nothing unexpected, you've just registered the price and I'm now moving it to the bag". :biggrin:

Can be much quicker, but can also slow things down if you need an assistant at a busy time.... and it's quite surprising what needs an assistant to check your age/sex/family history before they'll sell you it/them.

Maz

Guru
I LOVE those self-checkout tills!
No more embarrassment buying KY-Jelly and condoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longers

Legendary Member
I've come across them today in two places I didn't think I'd find them.

Once in the library - very nice, easy and quiet and then in B+Q.
Less fun in the second place, the bloody thing kept asking me to do something just after I'd done it.

I'd have gone to a proper till out of preference but there was only one on but two people stood by the self serves.

Top Bottom