Self-invented words ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Dirtbox.
A 4wd ego wagon.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Hook-and-loop fastenings are universally known by a trade name: Velcro. This seemed to my wife to demonstrate a lamentable gap in the English language, so she came up with 'statch'. Absolutely brilliant; combines the idea of 'catch' with the onomatopoeic sound of the system in action. Statched up your shoes yet?

OP
OP
monkers

monkers

Veteran
Meanderthals - those who wander off the evolutionary path and into your cycle lane often to be seen pressing the god of phone to their ear in deep prayer

Brilliant. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

bruce1530

Guru
Billy Connolly once did a sketch on this theme - words like “Getifuh” and “Yabasa”.

And since they are made-up words, they can mean whatever you like. Perhaps “a little bunch of pink daisies":

“Oh, look at the lovely little getifuh yabasa...”|

OP
OP
monkers

monkers

Veteran
I had overwhelming warm feelings of nostalgia for spangles ... until then. :rolleyes: Woolworths in Darford had an amazing range of spangles when I was a kid. There was one flavour I wasn't keen on, though had I used that expression I might have had a glowing ear. ^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
monkers

monkers

Veteran
Not a word, but a phrase: "Fizzy feet". Apparently when I was about four years old, my Dad asked me what was wrong and I tried to explain that I had pins and needles. I've still never heard a better description of it in the next fifty five years.

Nice use of onomatopoeia for a four-year old. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom