Selling/disposing used bikes

What do you do with your 1-3 year old bike when you want to upgrade?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

A whole 3 years! I normally get upgraditis or changitis after 12 months! Other than the Pearson which I use so infrequently, it'll get a year's use in about 20!

Yes but why so frequently? A bike thats less than three years old is barely run in. My Pearson fixed is coming up for six years old and has done about eighteen thousand miles and is running as well as it did when new, my Verenti is coming up to three years old and has done about five thousand miles and I'm just starting to get the best out of it.

Davidc

Guru
Yes but why so frequently? A bike thats less than three years old is barely run in. My Pearson fixed is coming up for six years old and has done about eighteen thousand miles and is running as well as it did when new, my Verenti is coming up to three years old and has done about five thousand miles and I'm just starting to get the best out of it.
Absolutely.

Bikes get better as you tune and adjust them to yourself, as you upgrade components to the spec. you ideally want, and so on.

A new bike (or in my case usually nearly new 2nd hand) is like a new house (also pre-used). It has the potential to become the perfect one for you but will require years of work to become that!

It often starts with simple things. Upgrading the brake blocks so it stops better, putting some decent tyres on it that resist punctures and run the way you want. Then there are the next level items. New pedals, colour co-ordinated cable outers (never one of mine but I did that for my daughter once), a new saddle to fit your backside, a hub dynamo and decent lighting. Then on to the more serious bits like building some really good wheels, and much more.

Usually by about 3 to 5 years the bike's just about right. The next 5 or so are mainly about maintenance and just enjoying riding what has become the near perfect customised bike for you.

Option 1: Then one day you look at it and decide that it has just too many chips out of the paintwork, just one too many rust spots beginning to show. It's time to start looking for the next one. It's time to see how much is in the piggy bank.

Option 2: Some (expletive too strong for a family friendly forum) has stolen it. You dream that the brakes will fail and the thief will end up riding over Beachy Head or similar. In reality they won't 'cos you maintained it too well. It's down to an insurance claim, getting half what it was worth, and finding the cash to make up the difference so you can have another decent bike.

Either way - you just start all over again.

I've had both my bikes about 4 years, one from new the other, year old when I got it and had done about 50 miles. There's no way I'll be changing either for at least the next 10 years unless they're stolen or too badly bent for any reason. I'll be in my 70s by then so perhaps it'll be an e bike next?

vickster

Legendary Member

Because I am a change fiend :smile: I used to do it with cars, now bikes, rather less depreciation! I have no particular interest in tinkering

asterix

Comrade Member
Can't remember selling a bike in my life! One did get nicked. I have 4:

5 years old, 10 years old, 13 years old (re-enamelled twice,top tube replaced once) and 26 years old (re-enamelled 2 years ago and updated to c.2005 spec).

All very rideable. I have to fiddle around with a bike for ages before it's perfect so I tend to keep them.

OP
OP
RussellZero

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Thanks for all the responses - bit of a mixed bag. The reason I asked the question is this - recently, as biking popularity has been growing, I think there is a growing crowd of people in the "upgraditis" category, whereby they see next years bike come out, and want to have it - they've got money but don't want to throw it away, so want to get some value back in the bike they bought last year (or maybe 2 years ago). First time round, maybe n+1 kicks in and you have a winter trainer also, but then the following year the dilemma arises again. New bike tech comes out, ultegra/di2 electric shifters come on market, new materials, etc etc... Im kind of in this camp, I kept my last road bike for 22 years, brought it out of semi retirement to do some tri's and got into some 100 mile sportives - but it didn't cut the mustard for comfort, usability, weight, etc when comparing with a reasonably priced modern bike - so I got my Orbea Aqua TTG, which I love to pieces - fairly entry level but with reasonable spec. But - its coming up for 2 years old soon, and I've really been using it a lot, and have been thinking about upgrading to a carbon framed bike with better components. But I wont do this without selling the Orbea first (I already have 2 mtbs as well as this). Anyway, it's been interesting reading the comments, thanks for your feedback.

Sara_H

Guru
Depends on the bike. Most of my bikes haven't been worth selling so I've given them away on Freecycle. My last bike (A dawes Sonoran) was in good condition and worth selling.

I sold it on my work email system, to a very happy buyer who got a good bike she liked for £100. Happy people all round!

avalon

Guru
I don't sell them, I just replace worn out parts or upgrade components. My oldest bike, which I'm still using has a 1980 Mercian frame. Can't see the point in replacing something when it still does the job just as well and sometimes better than a new one.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got a (once) exotic titanium mountain bike built up for fast XC with a rigid carbon fork, light and fast as anything. I haven't ridden it for well over a year... I should sell it but can't bring myself to make the break with 22 years of mountain biking that I did before discovering the road.

avalon

Guru
I've got a (once) exotic titanium mountain bike built up for fast XC with a rigid carbon fork, light and fast as anything. I haven't ridden it for well over a year... I should sell it but can't bring myself to make the break with 22 years of mountain biking that I did before discovering the road.
If you've got the space and don't need the money, you may as well hold onto it. You might decide you want to use it again one day.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never sold a bike of mine. Got three that are 20 years old and more, then got a fixed commuter bike 4 years ago. Selling bikes is illegal.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just had to dispose of my late father's bike. As it was a rubbish Peugeot Elite from the 80s, too small for me and not worth selling, and the nearest bike recycling site is an awkward drive away (and I don't own a car), I simply left it on a play area on my estate and told a few people that it was up for grabs. There's a chance that whoever ends up with it might think they've stolen it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As my son has grown up we've had to sell five of his bikes, as well as two or three others. Pain in the wotsit really; I hate packing them up and TNT wrecked one we sent in a carton.

Julia9054

Guru
Freecycle if its not really worth much. Have got rid of 2 knackered old bikes this way to people who seemed really pleased with them.
When my eldest was about 12, he had outgrown his bike so I found one which sounded just right on Freecycle. On ringing the lady up, it turned out she lived in the bungalow that backs on to our garden. She had got the bike from another freecycler for her grandson and it had turned out to be too big for him. We were delighted to take the bike off her hands and she, in turn, was delighted with my son's outgrown bike in exchange!
My other son's current (adult sized) bike was found leaning against a lamppost outside a house with a sign on it which read "clearing out the garage - please take"

Top Bottom