Selling my Witcomb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I bought this bike a few years ago with the intention of doing a nice gentle restoration and maybe converting it to single speed. Since then I’ve hardly used it other than for a few commutes and trips into town. It is in pretty much the condition it was when I acquired it, other than a few drops of oil on the chain and some newish tyres and tubes. There’s some flaking paint around the BB and rear dropouts but it appears structurally sound.

I’d appreciate a steer as to value. I know it’s not a proper classic lightweight Witcomb, but I think it could be quite a nice retro bike if someone had time to give it a bit of TLC. I’ll offer it for sale here first and if there’s no interest I will see how it goes on EBay.

Any thoughts?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You may have seen it before but this is a short about Witcombs from back in the 70s. I knew the Deptford shop back then along with the old crook Ernie Witcomb.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=xdtQ6smF0Rw

My first Witcomb was stolen from outside a Deptford pub and Ernie no doubt ground the serial number off it and resold it.

Landsurfer

Veteran
About £200 tops .... the market is flooded with 531 framed bikes that need re-enamelling .... Plate ends don't help .... sorry <£200 in reality .....
I bought this beauty for £100.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
The value of second hand bikes is rubbish ... the plastic space ship brigade have destroyed the value of craft steel frames ...
my "wonder bike" has a robotic steel frame from Vietnam ... it's a class work of art ....
I took my Mercian frame to their Derby shop ... when it was open ... and they wanted more than my entire Jamis tourer cost just to paint it ..!!!
531 frames on ebay ... corrosion is Russian roulette with these frames .. and wow ... £100 for a 531 db frame ... and £150 for a coat of paint ... and the rust holes appear from the inside 3 months later ,,,,, :sad:
Respect to the plastic spaceship brigade .... your riding ...:smile:

midlife

Guru
The value of bikes that are in a rideable condition have risen of late because of the lack of bikes in general.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Craft steel frames with partial Campag components for sale in this weeks comic for £250 ?
I think your right ... but lower value stuff ...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
They need to keep rising to fund my pension please :whistle:

Top Bottom