Senior riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleking

'Senior' is taking advantage of various reduced prices, buss pass etc., but still behaving like the big kid inside most of us - ! :rofl:

However, never regret growing old, it's a privelige denied to many. :okay:

thats true i guess thats one benefit of being ancient

cwskas

Über Member
I am planning to buy a good bike which will perhaps be my last purchase!

Let's hope not! :eek:

Buxton56

Any senior riders on this forum?
I brought a new bike this spring to give me the incentives to exercise more and it has worked.
Iam riding the state bike trails, and enjoy reading about the history of the area, they have signs posted along the trails ,with old photographs and information of the location.

Buxton56

I’m 66 and haven’t been on a bike since my 20’s. I just purchased a 24” Electra Cruiser 7. It’s not a fancy bike but I already love it. I just wanted something to get a little more exercise and I’m tired of just walking. Lol. I live by the beach and the bay in San Diego so that’s where I’ll be riding. I’m sure most people on this site commute or ride the countryside on their high end end bikes and my little cruiser seems silly. I got this bike because 1, it was cheap and in great condition and 2 it has 7 gears, which I know nothing about but I’ll learn, so if I want to venture a little further I can do it with ease.

I’m 66 and haven’t been on a bike since my 20’s. I just purchased a 24” Electra Cruiser 7. It’s not a fancy bike but I already love it. I just wanted something to get a little more exercise and I’m tired of just walking. Lol. I live by the beach and the bay in San Diego so that’s where I’ll be riding. I’m sure most people on this site commute or ride the countryside on their high end end bikes and my little cruiser seems silly. I got this bike because 1, it was cheap and in great condition and 2 it has 7 gears, which I know nothing about but I’ll learn, so if I want to venture a little further I can do it with ease.

What 'high end' bike? Lol! No electrics for me, just a foldable 20" wheel bike for shopping, days out to the coast by train, going to U3A and riding along the canal towpath. Welcome to cyclechat!

Buxton56

What 'high end' bike? Lol! No electrics for me, just a foldable 20" wheel bike for shopping, days out to the coast by train, going to U3A and riding along the canal towpath. Welcome to cyclechat!

Thank you so much for the welcome! My bike is just a regular bike not electric. The name just sounds fancy. Lol. I’m just like you, going to use it for quick rides to the local market and nice rides around the beach and bay. Also as a stress reliever, my husband can be exhausting. LOL.

Thank you so much for the welcome! My bike is just a regular bike not electric. The name just sounds fancy. Lol. I’m just like you, going to use it for quick rides to the local market and nice rides around the beach and bay. Also as a stress reliever, my husband can be exhausting. LOL.

I find there's nothing better than riding along my local canal towpath for relaxation - it's level and easy, there's no traffic other than an occasional narrowboat, and there are occasional seats at the side of the towpath to take a rest on and regular bridges to shelter under if it should start to rain!

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
I'm 71 and ride a Felt FC , Trek madone 5.5 and Trek Madone 5.9 sl on the roads . I use a Felt F55 for Turbo trainer when its very wet of cold or have pains in my hands or thumbs . Have not succumbed to an electric bike yet

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
Here are my Treks , they are not always this clean !

DSCF2412.JPG

nagden

Über Member
I am 67 years old and a lifelong cyclist. I ride an old Motobecane tourer that's nearly as old as me but has had far more replacement parts including a smaller chainring. I cycle 6 mornings a week and like to do around 200km per week. I find I can't handle too much intensity so the MAF system suits me fine.

Venod

Eh up
70 and aim for 150 miles a week on a mixture of road and off road rides.
A Cannondale Synapse and Giant TCR for dry weather use.
A Spa Elan for wet road use and a bit of off road.
An OnOne CX and Trek MTB for more serious off road stuff
A Tacx Neo turbo when it's just too bad to go out.
Still enjoying it after all these years.

Last edited:

CharleyFarley

I'm 76 and bought an Electra Cruiser 7 two years ago and love it. I always modify my bikes to suit so I put Electra fenders on it, different bars, lever shifters and a better saddle. It's my evening bike. In the mornings I ride my Specialized Fatboy which I've had for six years. And I do all my own servicing. I had to put new wheel bearings in both wheels on the Electra after they started grinding at 600 miles. I could have had it done under warranty but I prefer to do my own. It now has 3,700 miles on it. The Fatboy now has 11,700 miles on it. I don't do long distance, only 20 miles max and only during the Florida winters because it's too hot during the summer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom