Sensible Clubs and Societies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was a long standing member of a Club. Our erstwhile Chairman was Reg and the General Secretary was a chap in whispered terms was called Wispy. The Club is now defunct as the Registrar of Societies deregistered it for cause. It aim was to promote chamber music but the echoes among other things was getting worse. An attempt was made a few years ago to fix the issues but I think last straw was food poisoning from a piece of gammon.

It was actually a good club with many a robust discussion plus multitiude of viewpoints and opinions that gave insights of some aspect of community and society. I do remember learning about Preston and the revolution and revival it had undertaken and undergo. With one exception, no other media covered it so the Club did provide value.

Membership background was varied so it did add to content. The divide however was on the choice of genre. Not exactly, but one side was close to country led by the Dixie Chicks and for a very long time they had momentum. On the other, it was closer to Etonian string ensemble with a hint of masculine timbre. So it was a clash of cultures. Caught in the middle was a broadchurch.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
In the past; BOAC/British Airways Junior Jet Club :smile:, when I was a regular(ish) flyer between the ages of 6 and 16. I had a winged badge, and a wee blue log book telling me where I had been, and on what aircraft. Sadly lost the book many years ago.
Rothesay Golf Club (lapsed a few years ago when I realised we don't get enough dry days for motorbiking, cycling, AND golf. There was an obvious choice that had to be sacrificed).
Bute Rugby Club (non playing "social" member; i.e. :cheers:).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Hundreds of organisations have my details and probably count me as a member because they want something from me or offer me something of a ‘loyalty scheme. However, I don’t count those. I am a paid up member of British Cycling, British Canoeing and GB Archery for a combination of insurance and holding my qualifications. I am also a member of 1st Gilwell Scouts and my local Sea Scouts group. I have a variety of work related associations and memberships too, some of use and some just to extract money.

When I was a lad, I joined the "United Network Command for Law and Enforcement" (Man from) club
did you have the clever deadly briefcase though?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My only current club is the caving club I've been in for ('kinnel !) over 40 years. Was in a diving club but lapsed as I was working away and didn't have time to do much diving, and subs were too much to stay in just on sentiment. May restart that now I've more time. Used to be in the CTC but more to support a worthwhile organisation than to participate, but have lapsed now that it seems to have been taken over at the top by "charity types" with little interest in cycling, and the magazine, which I used to enjoy simply got binned unopened for my last few years with them. Still just
about a member of the Labour Party, albeit never been active, and been disillusioned for some years but maybe things are improving (not something to debate here, just mentioning as its something I'm nominally a member of). Only other thing I was ever a member of was an amateur orchestra, but that was well over 40 years ago.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
sad - very - i had imagined that it was the last mag covering general (ie not the new golf) cycling after cyclingplus went awol years ago.
Its dreadful. Full of ads, and what little factual content they have makes GCN look authoritative, its that bad. Its too glossy to be any use for wiping my arriss, so straight in the recycling it goes.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Cripes is that what's happened to the CTC mag of old? Used to be in the CTC (yep I know it's now Cycling UK) until I moved back to London and joined the London Cycling Campaign. If so, truly depressing. At least they can't take my bikes and strange liking for roughing it off me.
Without it turning into an anti CUK rant, I'll just agree with Drago and say the magazine is poor, aimed largely at the new cash rich banker cyclist who wants to buy 200 quid gadgets. I'm happy to be a member of CUK because I support what they do and I'm insured through them, so I'm not against the movement. The mag is crap though.

Top Bottom