Sensible Clubs and Societies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
So what sensible clubs and societies are you a member of?

For my own part...

Musicians Union.

Injury On Duty Pensioners Association.

British Canoeing.

The local private drinkies club.

Royal Green Jackets Regimental Association.

Cycling UK.

Milton Keynes Air Rifle Club.

Tufty Club (I still gave the badge)

Previously a member of the RSGB.

Somquite a few, but none of it terribly exciting I'm afraid. Just enough for a semi regular flow of paper through the letterbox.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I was a member of my office Curry Club .... the membership of which wore rather snazzy farting elephant ties.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Erm, I think it's only two. Cycling UK, and the Royal Air Forces Association.

I do sweet sod all with any of them, I just pay them money and in return they send me junk. Well the first one does, they keep sending me a multi page advertisement supplement each month, it seems they'd like me to buy something expensive from one of the companies in the comic. Frightful stuff, 8 grand bikes and holidays in the Dordordedordogne. I'm not sure where the magazine that's meant to accompany the advert supplement is.

The latter don't know where I live any more, I moved house a decade back and didn't tell them. So I pay them a sub and don't even get the junk mail. What I do get, if I'm ever passing one of their ever-dwindling number of clubs, is the opportunity to go in and drink weak lager with some people who (a) bang on about their two years national service in 1951, and (b) smell of wee.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I do sweet sod all with any of them, I just pay them money and in return they send me junk. Well the first one does, they keep sending me a multi page advertisement supplement each month, it seems they'd like me to buy something expensive from one of the companies in the comic. Frightful stuff, 8 grand bikes and holidays in the Dordordedordogne. I'm not sure where the magazine that's meant to accompany the advert supplement is.

The latter don't know where I live any more, I moved house a decade back and didn't tell them. So I pay them a sub and don't even get the junk mail. What I do get, if I'm ever passing one of their ever-dwindling number of clubs, is the opportunity to go in and drink weak lager with some people who (a) bang on about their two years national service in 1951, and (b) smell of wee.

My ex-RAF brother stopped at the Victory Services Club near Marble Arch when visiting me in London.

He said it was rather run down and grotty, and he wouldn't stay there again.

That was about 30 years ago, and I see the place is now being marketed as prestigious so has presumably been refurbed.

https://www.vsc.co.uk/

Cripes is that what's happened to the CTC mag of old? Used to be in the CTC (yep I know it's now Cycling UK) until I moved back to London and joined the London Cycling Campaign. If so, truly depressing. At least they can't take my bikes and strange liking for roughing it off me.

Top Bottom