Sensitivity to low sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I rode up the A58 this evening from Ripponden to Blackstone Edge. The low sun was behind trees to my left and the strobing effect from that as I rode past the trees was really unpleasant so I had to ride with my left hand shielding me from the direct sunlight. It was a bit of a pain to do that for quite a long distance on a climb!

dim

I rode up the A58 this evening from Ripponden to Blackstone Edge. The low sun was behind trees to my left and the strobing effect from that as I rode past the trees was really unpleasant so I had to ride with my left hand shielding me from the direct sunlight. It was a bit of a pain to do that for quite a long distance on a climb!

what you need to remember is that if you are riding into the sun and you are struggling to see, the cars who are driving behind you are also struggling to see

so, keep safe

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
what you need to remember is that if you are riding into the sun and you are struggling to see, the cars who are driving behind you are also struggling to see

so, keep safe
It's true - I was VERY aware of that, especially after one car came rather too close as it overtook me!

Another driver was a bit OVER-cautious where the road had widened and stayed behind me when there was plenty of room to get by safely. I was worried that someone less patient in the queue of traffic that he created would go for a risky multi-car overtake.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
On my old commute I used to cycle past a metal security fence in the morning and it produced the same sort of flicker.

G3CWI

Veteran
I have certainly noticed the same (now late 50s). It seems very common for older people not to like driving at night as eyes take longer to adjust - especially bad on unlit roads with oncoming cars.

...and less than an our after writing that I had to go out in the car and managed to reverse into a wall that I did not see in the dark. I really must stick to cycling.

D

Deleted member 26715

...and less than an our after writing that I had to go out in the car and managed to reverse into a wall that I did not see in the dark. I really must stick to cycling.
Did it jump out behind you, I once had a post do that to me many years ago.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
I smell a migraine sufferer.......low sun and / or flickering lights can do it. Sunglasses can dampen the onset of migraine, well it does for me. I have a fellow migraineur pal who swears by polarised lenses. Here is a wee test for you Flick; pop into your local Costco and note any similar symptoms. Costco lights make me wanna hurl!

Top Bottom