September 26 is D Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Only just found this sub-forum (by chance) and so have got some reading to do.

I am a member of a 6 man team doing JoG to LE at the end of this month.

I have done a fair amount of cycling though no other specific training. And due to a bereavement some of my Longer training rides were cancelled or reduced though i have cycled the best part of 40+ miles in one day in two separate stints

We have a couple of support vehicles and will be cycling lite. I can aveage 16 mph for 2-3 hours so whilst it will not be easy i am hopeful.

After all if it is easy it isn't a challenge.

But any tips on final preparation, or training packages I should consider in the remaining 3-4 weeks that i have left?

Also any tips, or kit recommendation that i should have to takee on the ride?

My Ride is a carbon frame with shimano Ultegra gear-set triple chain wheel and 11-28 cassette

Some one at work suggested e I should get another cassette for the hilly stages 12-32 or more. Thoughts? if so which one will be compatible for my group-set?

Another suggested that i should also get some aero-bars for comfort on the longer straight-ish stretches?

Again any comemts/suggestions.

Thank you

Adrian

Rebel Ian

First of all....good luck!

My tips would be to try and cram some mileage in the last month but take it easy the week before you start. I'd try and step up the mileage for three weeks then have a week off bearing in mind where you are in training terms.

Don't worry about changing cassette. I'm famously crap at hills yet on a standard 12-25 compact climbed every hill, without stopping. I set a record for how slow I went up some of them but I did them all. If you have an 11-28 you'll be fine.

As for the long straight stretches please let me know where they are......I never bloody found them! I begged for some flat roads with no ups or downs but they were few and far between! You don' need aero bars.

Most of all........enjoy it. It's a brilliant achievement however you tackle it. Ride safe.

goody

Veteran
How many miles are you planning to do a day?
If you are planning long days in the saddle I'd recommend that that you do a few beforehand to make sure your saddle and posterior get along just fine. What ever clothing / shoes etc. you are using make sure it fits properly. Good Luck!

This sat I am doing the Hereford ride ~50 miles I do believe

Then the following weekend the Olympic route (shock gasp horror0

the the 18th doing a ride in Wendover 65 miles i think

Will try and commute to work as well 3-4 times and on the way home do some more hill interval training...

Adrian

wintonbina

Über Member
Keep doing what rebel Ian has stated also eat well from now onwards(no sh*t & not too much beer!) Plenty of rest and do a couple of long rides back to back to get adjusted to the bike as said by goody.Also make sure the bike is well prepared (service & new tyres in the week before is a good idea!). The ride is only as difficult as you want it to be(my opinion :rolleyes: anyway), maintain a steady pace & don't worry about the hills and enjoy it all.

Good luck< Tony

With 6 different team members, that means 6 different physical and mental abilities and 6 different stress levels for the group to settle down too.

It will take a few days for the group to find an average daily speed to suit the daily distance you have set for the team. I would suggest that you try to get the team together to do some practice rides equal to your projected planned daily mileage; prior to your ride to shake the differences between each of your riding styles, that should also help your pre-planning towards your daily achievements

Well driving up t Scotland today, anf then JoG tomorrow...

Yes I am apprehensive as hell...

I intend to start a blog - bought a dongle etc to allow me internet access (as long as there is phone signal)

Link to my blog

Adrian

Mitz

Well driving up t Scotland today, anf then JoG tomorrow...

Yes I am apprehensive as hell...

I intend to start a blog - bought a dongle etc to allow me internet access (as long as there is phone signal)

Link to my blog

Adrian

Good luck, and take care Adrian
wave.gif

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi Adrian
good luck will be watching your blog mate ...dont worry to much just enjoy it ...its is ment to be fun after all..have done this ride twice now its a brill trip one that will stay with you always... :thumbsup: ... hope you gets lots of .. :sun:

larry

Top Bottom