September 9: Manchester to Magic Rock Brewery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was on a ride last weekend and met a few cyclists who were planning on finishing their ride at Magic Rock Brewery taproom in Huddersfield

https://www.magicrockbrewing.com/tap-room/?age-verified=005b8a3ccd

For those that don't know Magic Rock, they brew a really excellent range of beers

The general idea (subject to everyone's feedback) is as follows:

Leave Manchester city centre mid/late morning

Ride over the Isle of Sky (Saddleworth Moor) to Holmfirth where we can have some lunch in a nice pub

Arrive Magic Rock mid afternoon-ish

A couple of heads up...

There will be some hills as we have to cross the Pennines. But the route will take the most benign ascent; it is a long climb (about 5km) but is generally about 6%

As the crow flies it's a short ride but I will meander around a bit and make it about 40miles all in. Something like 3,000ft of climbing but nobody will be left behind. Normal regroup at the top of the hill policy

Huddersfield train station is about 600m from Magic Rock

This is the view back down the Isle of Sky climb, we will come up via those reservoirs

2017-07-12.png

So if you fancy a nice, hillyish 40 mile ride out of Manchester with a finish at a Brewery pop your name down and we'll get it sorted

Expressions of Interest
@MossCommuter (but going by train)
@Kestevan
@I like Skol
@John the Monkey
@Crackle
@si_c
@Pennine-Paul
@DP
@rich p

Link to Route
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23484936

Last edited:
Count me in...

...for the beers at least

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Might just have to join you for lunch and a ride out to magic rock.... Would be rude not to really.... May even be able to persuade Mrs Kes to join in too.

Not sure about starting in Manchester though.
Although thinking about it I could ride over to Glossop meet up with Nick for the ride into Manchester and back (assuming he's not going to wimp out of the ride into Manchester)

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Might just have to join you for lunch and a ride out to magic rock.... Would be rude not to really.... May even be able to persuade Mrs Kes to join in too.

Not sure about starting in Manchester though.
Although thinking about it I could ride over to Glossop meet up with Nick for the ride into Manchester and back (assuming he's not going to wimp out of the ride into Manchester)

It's not a very long ride so I was planning to cycle into Manchester for the start, particularly as it won't be early. I only chose centre of Manchester as it is good meet up place. Let's see if there's much interest

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Better throw my hat in the ring now seeing as how this is on my doorstep. Unlikely that I will attend for two reasons.
1st I can't be trusted to have a pleasant sociable drink without making an Arris of myself!
2nd it will be my first night of a night shift so I will need to be setting off for work at around 5.30 :sad:

I might make it along to say hi for part of the ride but can't guarantee it.

U

User169

I'd really like to do this, so I could visit Cloudwater at the same time. Flights to Manchester - 90 EUR - pretty reasonable, but you then have to add100 EUR for the bike!

U

User169

Come wi' me on t'train

;)

(Oh, and Cloudwater's more or less next door to Beer Nouveau)

I can swing the odd weekend away for cycling, but just to go boozing is a more problematic!

Oooh! Potentially possible. I will need to wait and see which weekend I have to transport son2 to Uni but hopefully it's not that one.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
To give an idea on timings.....it's a good couple of hours riding to Holmfirth from central Manchester so probably looking at around 11am start which should also give loads of time for folk to get there in the morning.

We'll have lunch in a nice pub in Holmfirth and then it's a meandering 20 miles to Magic Rock so I reckon we get there about 4pm

Folk can stay there as long as they like. The station is very close and there are trains back towards Manchester every 15 minutes or so

Top Bottom