September 9: Manchester to Magic Rock Brewery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Hmm, I'll speak to Mrs C about this. Depends on what she's planning that month, got lots of stuff being done around the house at the moment, so spare time is limited.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So it seems we've got enough to make this a runner. So it's definitely on

We will start Piccadilly Station (as it's a good meet up place) at 11am. A few urban miles out of East Manchester to Ashton Under Lyne. Then the first climb (it's only about 4% average) to Mossley. Roll along and then we get to Greenfield when we take on the Saddleworth Moor climb. This is probably the easiest cross-Pennine route. It's about 5km @ 6% and we should (repeat, "should") have a tailwind. From there it's a long, long descent into Holmfirth

Nice pub for lunch and a couple of beers in Holmfirth. Then we have an as yet not fully scoped out route to Magic Rock. It will only be about 15 miles so the full ride will be 38 miles all in, with about 3,000ft of climbing. Nobody is left behind. Regroup at top of the hills.

I'll set up the "Expressions of Interest" list, load up the route etc etc asap

Magic Rock is only 600m from Huddersfield station from where you can get a train back in the Manchester direction very easily

Last edited:
If anyone was thinking of a brewery tour bear in mind that pre-booking is essential. I have arrived on spec' a few times and still haven't been able to do a tour.

It's a fiver, lasts 40 minutes and includes a drink.

There is one at 3pm and one at 4pm so I suppose 4pm might be wiser.

If anyone wants to go, let me know and I'll give them a bell to get booked on.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If anyone was thinking of a brewery tour bear in mind that pre-booking is essential. I have arrived on spec' a few times and still haven't been able to do a tour.

It's a fiver, lasts 40 minutes and includes a drink.

There is one at 3pm and one at 4pm so I suppose 4pm might be wiser.

If anyone wants to go, let me know and I'll give them a bell to get booked on.

Yeah, 4pm is better. That gives 5 hours to do 38 hilly miles including a decent lunch stop in Holmfirth. I'm guessing we'll get to Magic Rock about 3 ish

Please put me down for the tour, should be interesting

No tour for me, Mossy. I've done enough distillery tours to last, plus I won't know until A level results day if I'm going.

Top Bottom