September 9: Manchester to Magic Rock Brewery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Right, I'm a step closer to being a certain for this. Son2 got his Leeds place with room to spare and if I've read the website right, his moving there won't clash with the weekend and unlike Rich, I've already struck this out on the calendar!

Great stuff....sorry I've not been responsive in this ride as I'm away at the moment. When I'm back next week I'll get it organised in usual way. I am relying on @I like Skol for the Manchester - Ashton U Lyne stretch and then @Kestevan for the Holmfirth - Huddersfield bit. If they can't make it for whatever reason then I'll have to go do some recce work. The AuL to Holmfirth stretch is no problem at all

I'll be riding Glossop to Manchester for the start, probably with a cycling mate. Definitely 11am start Piccadilly unless there is a really good reason for it not to be....please post here is it is a real problem for you

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was on the point of booking trains and tacking on an extra couple of days cycling when i thought I ought to check that I wasn't required elsewhere. It turns out I've been pre-booked to look after my daughter's two kids that weekend. Bollocks.
Another plan scuppered

Anyone would think you're avoiding my rides Rich. If you do come up again I'll do it with you

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Barring being eaten by wolves or other catastrophic failures I'm still set.

Current plan is for me to ride over to Glossop and meet up with you for the start @nickyboy if that's OK.

@Mrs Kes will join us in holmfirth for lunch and the ride up to magic rock.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Here's the final, final route

There aren't going to be that many participants (fewer than 10) and we all stick together and regroup at top of hills. But please come along with some means to navigate. Download the gpx, print off the cue sheet, bring a map....whatever. But please be able to navigate

@I like Skol will lead from Piccadilly to wherever he peels off....probably Mossley. @Kestevan will lead from Holmfirth to Magic Rock. I will lead the bit inbetween

Leave Piccadilly 11am sharp. It's 24 miles to Holmfirth, urban at first. Then a big hill. So I'm guessing about 1pm to lunch stop. Leave there about 2pm and it's about 13miles to Magic Rock so get there about 3.15pm at a guess

Nice sociable pace. Feel free to ride up the hills fast if you are so inclined (ha!) but otherwise we stick together

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23484936

Julia9054

Guru
Would love to do this but I would be far too slow on the big hill! May pinch the route to do on my own at some point though. Have fun - and I will see you in Scarborough

Here's the final, final route

There aren't going to be that many participants (fewer than 10) and we all stick together and regroup at top of hills. But please come along with some means to navigate. Download the gpx, print off the cue sheet, bring a map....whatever. But please be able to navigate

@I like Skol will lead from Piccadilly to wherever he peels off....probably Mossley. @Kestevan will lead from Holmfirth to Magic Rock. I will lead the bit inbetween

Leave Piccadilly 11am sharp. It's 24 miles to Holmfirth, urban at first. Then a big hill. So I'm guessing about 1pm to lunch stop. Leave there about 2pm and it's about 13miles to Magic Rock so get there about 3.15pm at a guess

Nice sociable pace. Feel free to ride up the hills fast if you are so inclined (ha!) but otherwise we stick together

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23484936
Where's the lunch stop?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Would love to do this but I would be far too slow on the big hill! May pinch the route to do on my own at some point though. Have fun - and I will see you in Scarborough

Hi Julia. You would be absolutely fine on the main hill, there will be others slower than you and, in any case, there is a strict regroup at the top policy. Anyhoo, see you for Scarborough

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Slight change of plan. @Mrs Kes has now been hijacked to take part in Holmfirth Cycle clubs ladies ride on that day, so won't be meeting us in holmfirth.
She and a select number of the hcc ladies will instead turn up directly at magic rock.... Typical avoiding the ride but turning up for ale; Knew there was a reason I married her. :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm
@I like Skol will lead from Piccadilly to wherever he peels off....probably Mossley.
I will probably ride to the bottom of the big hill :rolleyes:

But if time allows I will ride to the top so I can share your pain pleasure :whistle:
Hi Julia. You would be absolutely fine on the main hill, there will be others slower than you and, in any case, there is a strict regroup at the top policy. Anyhoo, see you for Scarborough
Julia, just do it and enjoy the ride. One thing I have found on all these forum rides is that the slower riders do just fine. The only people that get left are the ones that want to stop. If you want to do the ride then all the other riders will stick with you and make sure you get to the end. Besides, it isn't really a big hill, just a steady climb. Just beware, you can often top 40+mph on the descent past The Huntsman into Holmfirth.
Looking forward to the Scarborough ride and hope you can join us. The Holmfirth ride is a great opportunity to meet some of the other forum members and get to experience the vibe of these events. Just do it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So, with a week to go, time for a roll call

@I like Skol
@Kestevan
@Pennine-Paul
@Crackle
@si_c
@DP
@MossCommuter

Skolly & Kes will ride with me to Manchester where, I presume, everyone else will be (excepting Mossy who will meet us there or maybe at the Lunch stop?)

ATM, BBC weather forecast is good...dry, nice tailwind (the main climb is high and bleak so if you get a tailwind you can go like the clappers on the descent)

Naturally, if anyone else wants to join then they're more than welcome. Just post here and I'll add you. I can promise a very scenic and not too strenuous ride from Manchester to Huddersfield, good lunch stop and excellent beers at the Brewery we're finishing at. From where there are loads of trains to various places

Top Bottom