September 9: Manchester to Magic Rock Brewery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
May be turning up Mob handed.
3 or 4 additional peeps I know have expressed an interest. If they bother turning up they'll be riding over from Holmfirth with me.

Some of them are probably as gravitationaly challenged as @Crackle so he may end up with some company on the climbs :smile:
Oh good. I've been out and done my local climbs this morning..........slowly......

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Time to start reading the weather runes.....

Looks like a typical Autumn-type day. 15 degrees, some light rain....but a stonking great tailwind. As I mentioned, the stretch up the big hill and down the other side is very exposed so expect the descent to be "exhilarating"

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Time to start reading the weather runes.....

Don't let me down Nick. I am expecting weather that matches the colour scheme of my 1991 Raleigh. I have just finished wrapping new bar tape and it is all ready for action :becool:

upload_2017-9-4_15-23-39.png

If I have the time/inclination to climb up to the Saddleworth Moors with you I may subject you to some swearing and abuse because this bike is on a traditional non-compact 40/52 chainset and 13-23 cassette :surrender:

U

User169

I'd really been hoping to make this one., but the kids schedule has intervened, so will have to pass. Have fun everybody.

Don't let me down Nick. I am expecting weather that matches the colour scheme of my 1991 Raleigh. I have just finished wrapping new bar tape and it is all ready for action :becool:

View attachment 371751

If I have the time/inclination to climb up to the Saddleworth Moors with you I may subject you to some swearing and abuse because this bike is on a traditional non-compact 40/52 chainset and 13-23 cassette :surrender:
Think yourself lucky ,I'll be on 44/16 fixed gear!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Probably at some point!
Not used to hills anymore now I'm living in the flatlands of Cheshire!

The steepest bit is a micro-diversion that @I like Skol has proposed for the climb out of Ashton under Lyne, about 8-9% for a short stretch. I was going for the benign main road but he insisted on a little track.

So blame him. By all means take the main road instead as that is max about 5%. We rejoin in Mossley

Fixed on the descent into Holmfirth should be good to watch....legs all a blur

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The steepest bit is a micro-diversion that @I like Skol has proposed for the climb out of Ashton under Lyne, about 8-9% for a short stretch. I was going for the benign main road but he insisted on a little track.

Err... wanna bet. :evil:
There's a bit of a ramp on the way out of Holmfirth, up Sude Hill to the church. It's probably only 100yds but it's nearer 15-20%

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just as an aside - have you checked with Magic rock about somewhere to put the bikes?
Lets just say that MR is not in the nicest area of Huddersfield......

Top Bottom