September 9: Manchester to Magic Rock Brewery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
:eek:
MSN Weather is forecasting 100% chance of rain and Thunderstorms!:eek:

BBC and Norwegian site are saying maybe a little light rain in the morning. Bit more rain in the afternoon (when hopefully we will be mainly at Magic Rock)

We'll see...plenty of time for it to change. Nice tailwind looks pretty nailed on though

Great. We're riding in from Glossop via Ashton under Lyne (to pick up Skolly) so our arrival time's a bit variable but should be similar
Is the rwgps route in the op about right? I just want to load it into the Garmin in case, so don't need it to be 100%.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Good news peeps.

I have just returned from a little recce ride to check out my end of the route planning, wouldn't want anything to go wrong on my patch!

Ride from my place into Manchester was 30 minutes so we should be good for the 10.40ish start.

The route out of central Manchester works like a dream. The surface is good apart from a couple of short stretches of uneven cobbles (maybe 20ft each) and I have tweaked the approach to the Velodrome by staying on the canal slightly longer and approaching via the footbridge. This is much more impressive than riding past McDonalds and Walmart!

From the Velodrome the path through Clayton Vale is surprisingly pleasant and on a dry autumnal day like today could almost be called atmospheric. It might be a damp miserable shlthole on Saturday if the weather is less kind :rolleyes:. From here we have a short climb up towards Woodhouses but this is not too taxing and drops us nicely back onto an old canal towpath through Daisy Nook country park. Even after the rotton weather we have experienced recently the path remains in good condition and should be ok even for your best bikes. If the weather is atrocious there is a tarmac alternative. Riding through Daisy Nook was especially nice today as they had just been cutting the grass and the smell was perfect :smile:

The rest of the route is as per the published plan and I am pleased to confirm that if you carry enough speed on the approach you can actually take off as you drop onto Roughtown Road in Mossley :dance:. Just be careful though, it is easy to skid if you have to brake hard while travelling at excessive speed and trying to hold a tight line because you have met a car coming the other way on this twisty single track road. :whistle:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
weather forecast is complicated as it changes a lot as we head East. Seems rather wet when we set off, then it improves somewhat, then it gets rainy again about when we get to Magic Rock (can rain as much as it likes then :okay:)

But there will be some rain, although how much is open to interpretation. Bring some gear suitable for this. We will have a regroup at top of Saddleworth Moor so faster riders may have up to 10 minutes wait there so dress accordingly. If we happen to catch a heavy shower there I will propose we regroup down in Holmfirth instead

I'm wrestling with what to wear tomorrow. It's still too warm for a baselayer, so arm warmers should suffice. Leg warmers are up in the air, waterproofs a deffo and mebbe bring a baselayer for putting on later when it's cooler. It would be easy if I just had a bag to sling on the bike but I've been unable to decide which one I want so it's all got to go in my pocketeses.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm wrestling with what to wear tomorrow. It's still too warm for a baselayer, so arm warmers should suffice. Leg warmers are up in the air, waterproofs a deffo and mebbe bring a baselayer for putting on later when it's cooler. It would be easy if I just had a bag to sling on the bike but I've been unable to decide which one I want so it's all got to go in my pocketeses.

I'll be in short sleeved top and thermal. Bring a showerproof with me, don't have heavy duty waterproofs

Shorts....cos I'm just back from hols and want to show off my brown legs:sun:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
weather forecast...... Seems rather wet when we set off,.... then it gets rainy again about when we get to.....
But there will be some rain, although how much is open to interpretation. Bring some gear suitable for this.
I've been on Nick's rides before so I am ready....
upload_2017-9-8_11-42-7.png

Given the likelihood of bad weather and my having no desire to be shown up by a bunch of bedraggled, MAMIL, scruffbags, I'll get up at the crack of 9 and be at Piccadilly where I'm happy to carry a small amount of stuff. I'll be on public transport and on foot so a small amount of stuff. As I understand it there will be about six of you nobbers on bicycles...

So if you want a dry tee-shirt and socks or whatevs at Holmfirth and/or Hudds. then pack them up small in a bag (e.g. supermarket carrier) for me to put in my ruck-sack and haul sherpa like at your convenience.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Given the likelihood of bad weather and my having no desire to be shown up by a bunch of bedraggled, MAMIL, scruffbags, I'll get up at the crack of 9 and be at Piccadilly where I'm happy to carry a small amount of stuff. I'll be on public transport and on foot so a small amount of stuff. As I understand it there will be about six of you nobbers on bicycles...

So if you want a dry tee-shirt and socks or whatevs at Holmfirth and/or Hudds. then pack them up small in a bag (e.g. supermarket carrier) for me to put in my ruck-sack and haul sherpa like at your convenience.
Not worried about t-shirt or socks but, can I give you a pair of undercrackers to carry for me? :whistle:

Top Bottom