September 9: Manchester to Magic Rock Brewery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Bonne courage, all. A rotten day for it, sadly - I'm sure the beer will compensate for the weather!
It would do, if I were having any! Just as I waved the last stragglers off into deepest Yorkshire the heavens opened (even more) and I got thoroughly drenched as I dropped back into civilisation on the correct side of the Pennines. No beer for me, just a few hours of chores then into work for a night shift :sad:

Great ride today and the mechanical trials and tribulations, plus at least two visits from the puncture fairy (up to the point that I left the ride) only served to raise the levels of enjoyment and camaraderie.

Hope all you guys have a good time at Magic Rock and a safe journey home :okay:

I can't wait for the Scarborough ride now, bring it on....... :hyper:

We're still having a good time!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just got home.... Had to bail out early as mrs kes was getting "tired and emotional"....

Nothing to do with the bottle and a half of wine she's supped I'm sure.....must have been a bad glass..

Wonder if we've any scotch.... Fancy a quick topper to close off the excellent beers.

Congrats to @nickyboy for organising another superb ride. Route was brilliant, ever if they insisted on moaning at every little slope on the way out of Holmfirth...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just remembered one of the funny things from my part of the ride. Before I start I just want to refer people to THIS post in another thread.
Sure enough, @Kestevan was there with his (badly fitting) mudguards and autumn tyres that never let him down. Almost as soon as the ride started to get serious and the weather a bit grim, who can guess what happened to his unpuncturable tyres?

Kes, when you are passing my place don't forget to call in and pick up my set of those tyres (PLEASE!). I meant it when I said you could have them foc. I might even pay you good money if you take them away.......

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well that was quite a day...torrential rain, a torrent of beers, mechanicals...but it was a great day out

Met up with @Kestevan in Glossop. Already raining hard and he had ridden over Holme Moss to get there. Picked up @I like Skol in Ashton and he pushed us hard to Manchester.

Major mechanical...me...broken spoke. Couldn't true the wheel. Ended up trying all the bike shops in Mcr. Went to Trek. A guy there actually lent me the wheel from his spare bike. Amazing. I was in danger of having to bail the ride but back in the game

Lovely route from Skol out of Manchester. Via National Cycling Centre

IMG_20170909_113931.jpg

Weather improves a lot. Up the big climb of Saddleworth Moor

IMG_20170909_131514_BURST005.jpg

Atmospheric shot of the valley

IMG_20170909_131541.jpg

Then...the skies opened and we all got thoroughly soaked on the descent to Holmfirth. It was pretty tough but pub stop gave us chance to get hot food and dry out

@Kestevan led from Holmfirth on a great route. Found a telephone box library

IMG_20170909_153807.jpg

Made it to Magic Rock brewery and a fun time was had by all. Finally stumbled out of there about 9pm

IMG_20170909_164537.jpg

IMG_20170909_175704.jpg

Thanks to those that came on the ride. Can't influence the weather but hopefully the route and the stops, which I can influence, made up for it

Just to add....when I got to Piccadilly station I bumped into a group of young guys ex my son's school who knew me and tried to press gang me into joining them in Manchester for a big night out. It was already 10pm, I was tired and drunk, wearing lycra and pushing a bike. It was a "no" from me

Last edited:
Roll up for the mystery tour, Skollys magical mystery tour, guaranteed to disappear down every rabbit hole in Madchester, I'm still dizzy from following him.

And my legs are still tired from following kestevans 'flattest' route out of Holmfirth. Just a couple of 2 or 3% hills he said. We began to quiz him a bit harder after the third 10% in as many miles and the only one which saw peninne paul on his fixy (a fixy over Saddleworth moor, astonishing) get off and walk. The moor was were said our good byes to Skolly, who after puncturing at the bottom, fixed it and caught us well before the top, before turning around and heading home.

Though the weather was inclement, despite riding on very wet roads, we only got one biblical drenching coming off the moor when it absolutely lashed it down, rain bouncing off the road. I was trying to follow Kestevans line on the road at that point, not knowing it myself but despite pedaling like billy ho at 30mph, he was effortlessly moving away from me and wasn't even pedalling!

Luckily excellent and very welcome refreshment awaited us at the Hook. Though it was hard getting my cold and shivery body going again when we left, leaving behind large pools of water where we'd been sitting.

After that, apart from the non existent hills it was a pleasant ride over to Magic Rock where the beers were very welcome and sherpa Mossy was finally relieved of all the spare clothes he'd acquired in Manchester.

Great beer, company and ride and too many things on the ride to fully recount in the thread. I finally got in just after 12 and this morning is definetly a two coffee start.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just remembered one of the funny things from my part of the ride. Before I start I just want to refer people to THIS post in another thread.
Sure enough, @Kestevan was there with his (badly fitting) mudguards and autumn tyres that never let him down. Almost as soon as the ride started to get serious and the weather a bit grim, who can guess what happened to his unpuncturable tyres?

Kes, when you are passing my place don't forget to call in and pick up my set of those tyres (PLEASE!). I meant it when I said you could have them foc. I might even pay you good money if you take them away.......

I never claimed they were "unpuncturable", and the puncture happened in Mordor so doesn't count anyway...

As for the mudguards, they fitted perfectly well till you dragged us down every potholed, cobbled or unpaved backwater in bloody Manchester. Haven't you lot heard of tarmac? Or were you perhaps under the misapprehension we'd all turned up on cross bikes?

Top Bottom