September 9: Manchester to Magic Rock Brewery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Errrm...

...you do know we're going to a brewery, right?

Crax reckons "brewery tour time" is a poor waste of drinking time

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm happy either way but possibly happier getting bladdered. When does a chap have to make a definitive decision?

Then the first climb (it's only about 4% average) to Mossley.

There's a nasty little climb between Clayton Vale and Woodhouses,it was just about doable on my fixie

Roll along and then we get to Greenfield when we take on the Saddleworth Moor climb. This is probably the easiest cross-Pennine route.

The easiest cross-Pennine route is the A62 from Delph and over to Marsden,but the descent into Huddersfield from there is nowhere as picturesque as the Holmfirth road,

There's a nasty kick up after Greenfield which gradually gets easier the higher you get.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Shhh....please, no more disclosure of "nasty little kick ups". Or it won't be the only nasty little kick up on the day!

Saddleworth climb is great as the first km (when you're freshest) is the steepest and then it becomes nice and steady 6%. Super views back down the valley and, as you say, the run from the top (1,700ft up) to Holmfirth is fab, particularly if there is a bit of a tailwind

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Shhh....please, no more disclosure of "nasty little kick ups". Or it won't be the only nasty little kick up on the day!

Saddleworth climb is great as the first km (when you're freshest) is the steepest and then it becomes nice and steady 6%. Super views back down the valley and, as you say, the run from the top (1,700ft up) to Holmfirth is fab, particularly if there is a bit of a tailwind

There's always a tailwind coming down into Holmfirth from the Isle of Sky.

If pushed I'd have to agree with Paul that the A62 is the easier way over the Pennines, but the road itself is probably busier and much less "dramatic" than Greenfield. If you approach from the Stalybridge side of the valley you can see nearly the whole length of the climb, and it looks a bloody long way up, and the bottom is steep and dark and scary :smile:

But as Nick says once you've cracked the first couple of hundred meters it opens up, levels off and becomes a nice steady climb.... and if a fat bloater like me can enjoy it anyone can....

If anyone was thinking of a brewery tour bear in mind that pre-booking is essential. I have arrived on spec' a few times and still haven't been able to do a tour.

It's a fiver, lasts 40 minutes and includes a drink.

There is one at 3pm and one at 4pm so I suppose 4pm might be wiser.

If anyone wants to go, let me know and I'll give them a bell to get booked on.
I have booked places for Nickyboy and me
If anyone was thinking of a brewery tour bear in mind that pre-booking is essential. I have arrived on spec' a few times and still haven't been able to do a tour.

It's a fiver, lasts 40 minutes and includes a drink.

There is one at 3pm and one at 4pm so I suppose 4pm might be wiser.

If anyone wants to go, let me know and I'll give them a bell to get booked on.
@nickyboy; I have booked you & me on the 4pm tour.

There were no other takers.

Applications are now closed :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I was on the point of booking trains and tacking on an extra couple of days cycling when i thought I ought to check that I wasn't required elsewhere. It turns out I've been pre-booked to look after my daughter's two kids that weekend. Bollocks.
Another plan scuppered

I was on the point of booking trains and tacking on an extra couple of days cycling when i thought I ought to check that I wasn't required elsewhere. It turns out I've been pre-booked to look after my daughter's two kids that weekend. Bollocks.
Another plan scuppered
Boooooooo

Right, I'm a step closer to being a certain for this. Son2 got his Leeds place with room to spare and if I've read the website right, his moving there won't clash with the weekend and unlike Rich, I've already struck this out on the calendar!

Top Bottom