Serious cycling thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Considering a cyclist's legs are his 'engines' and they are open to be viewed by others, his facial expression is all he can use to bluff the opposition.

As I said in "Serious Cycling Pt V", secrecy is the key, so give an impression of dismay and ignorance to 'gamesmanship' the others.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Brahan said:
Perhaps you're pretending to be grumpy to try and hide the fact that you're secretly really being rather serious.
Actually, I'm rarely serious, but I am usually grumpy. Perrin is my role model.
However, we detract from Serious cycling discussions.
Everybody back on topic please.

jimboalee

Fab Foodie said:
Actually, I'm rarely serious, but I am usually grumpy. Perrin is my role model.
However, we detract from Serious cycling discussions.
Everybody back on topic please.

We ARE on topic.

Firstly we have to distinguish between the 'Serious cyclist' and the 'all the gear - no idea' brigade.

The serious cyclists are the ones who grunt and agree whenever anyone in the group starts talking about bike races or bike components. They give a 'grumpy' impression although they know all about what is being said while at the same time are formulating their own opinions, of either the subject matter, or the guy who's chattering.

They never speak of what training they've done or what rides they've been on. This adds to the mystery of why they can ride along effortlessly while the others are puffing and panting.

They never, never mention the testing and calculations they've done to prepare their nutrition. They never admit they've scoured the map and know exactly when to eat a chunk of glucose brick for the up-coming hill.

They remain enigmatic throughout. Even to the degree of wearing undershirts from the Army-Navy store and not from Wiggle.
They wear a cheapo helmet, £5 mittens from Wilkinsons and a £9.99 road jersey off the bargain rail.

Yet they can get round a 200 Rando and sign their card without a judder.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jimboalee said:
We ARE on topic.

Firstly we have to distinguish between the 'Serious cyclist' and the 'all the gear - no idea' brigade.

The serious cyclists are the ones who grunt and agree whenever anyone in the group starts talking about bike races or bike components. They give a 'grumpy' impression although they know all about what is being said while at the same time are formulating their own opinions, of either the subject matter, or the guy who's chattering.

They never speak of what training they've done or what rides they've been on. This adds to the mystery of why they can ride along effortlessly while the others are puffing and panting.

They never, never mention the testing and calculations they've done to prepare their nutrition. They never admit they've scoured the map and know exactly when to eat a chunk of glucose brick for the up-coming hill.

They remain enigmatic throughout. Even to the degree of wearing undershirts from the Army-Navy store and not from Wiggle.
They wear a cheapo helmet, £5 mittens from Wilkinsons and a £9.99 road jersey off the bargain rail.

Yet they can get round a 200 Rando and sign their card without a judder.

have we met?

Brahan

Über Member
tyred said:
Would I have to remove my mudguards to be considered a serious cyclist?

It better not! I spent the best part of three hours swearing in the kitchen last night with two bottles of Weston's Reserve and a hacksaw to assist in the application of my first ever mudguards. I was hoping if anything that they would help add to my seriousness as a cyclist.

How many SPs (seriousness points) for mudgaurds?

Brahan

Über Member
Was that a serious question?

jimboalee

If your frame has mudguard eyes and a threaded insert in the chainstay bridge, it should have mudguards.

Riding a frame like this without mudguards indicates you are a 'Wannabee'.

If your frame does not have mudguard eyes and a threaded insert in the chainstay bridge; and you have some sort of mudguards fitted, this just proves it is your only bike and you are not serious enough to have a bike for winter/training/AUK and another for lovely summer weather.

tyred

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
If your frame has mudguard eyes and a threaded insert in the chainstay bridge, it should have mudguards.

Riding a frame like this without mudguards indicates you are a 'Wannabee'.

If your frame does not have mudguard eyes and a threaded insert in the chainstay bridge; and you have some sort of mudguards fitted, this just proves it is your only bike and you are not serious enough to have a bike for winter/training/AUK and another for lovely summer weather.

Excellent news. All my frames have mudguard eyelets and holes in chainstay bridge and have mudguards. I must be a very serious cyclist:thumbsup:

jimboalee

tyred said:
There is one on my Raleigh Twenty. Is this good or bad?

A serious cyclist rides a Raleigh Twenty in one of two ways.

1/ In disguise.

2/ Dressed in 'old ladies' clothes for a charity event.

Top Bottom