seriously confused on the club runs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Leader and sweeper are two very different roles both requiring good skills.

As leader one obviously needs to navigate but also maintain the pace which allows the group to ride as a unit. Knowing when to pull away and when to ease off comes with experience as does knowing the right speed at which to coast along while the stragglers get back on and catch their breath.

Riding on the back is, in my mind, the harder task. I always seem to be constantly chasing the group - last man off a junction etc. - or easing back when I'm too quick. Then there is the need to look after mechanicals and give shelter to anyone who is struggling as you pull them back to the group.

I find it very satisfying to lead, especially on those days when you've planned a good route, set the right pace and you can hear all the banter behind you. That's when you know everyone is having fun and you've got it right. A nice feeling.

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Well the club has put a facebook post to get a short club run leader for this sunday

Last edited:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
never understood about Sunday rides needing a 'ride leader' it's not a kids club is it?
Anyway there is always someone in the club who just ''overrides' everything... just say '' yeah yeah whatever 'and just leave 'em to it.
I have enough of that sh it at work.
Usually the guff about helping out at least once a year means
stand on a roadside corner for the best part of a Sunday morning with a red flag and watching a race bunch pass every 30 minutes.

If your club doesnt do race events - ignore daft requests. unless you are with a weird group who know you have tombola skills???

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Each to his own I suppose.

We have ride leaders for two principle reasons; plan and publish a route on Ride With GPS so if we lose someone not familiar with the area - and we have quite a few - or someone wants to head home early they can get back. Secondly it gives more variety to the rides than a simple "lets go over the Trough" (tough local climb).

As for the guff? Ours is a club running a minimum of 10 rides a week every day other than Mondays so a few people prepared to put in a shift helps.

Marshalling? If your guys turn out for other club's competitive events it's only fair to put something back

Last edited:
Top Bottom