Seroma - edit: massive infection, Take 2...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hope it’s all ok :hugs:
Thanks. I think the antibiotics and the fact I'm not unwell is a plus. Just hoovered a gram of flucloxacillin to kick it all off.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I think the antibiotics and the fact I'm not unwell is a plus. Just hoovered a gram of flucloxacillin to kick it all off.
If they were really concerned, they’d have you in on IV abs...as happened with my infected haematoma (I was already taking orals)

tom73

Guru
:hugs:
Sounds like your being put though the mill for sure let's hope the antibiotics work out. As for IV antibiotics it's now been shown that they are only more effective than oral for 48 hours max. After that orals are just as effective so you're not loosing much trying orals 1st.

In the mean time if you have someone who can draw round the area it will be easy to show if it's going down or the area is tracking even more and developing into possible cellulitis.

Take care , up the fluids and if you start to get over all unwell and notice your temp is up go get some help.

Despite antibiotics, it's still growing, and getting angry-looking. It looks like a medium-steak pasty is trying to emerge from my shoulder. Back at docs to force some action before this becomes an A&E jobbie.

didn't you say they told you to go straight to A and E if you have any further problems , that's where I would be going

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't feel stupid, it's serious reaction to a medical procedure - be safe. It's not like you've cut your finger. You'll be assessed immediately by the triage nurse, and then probably whizzed straight in.

Just got back from GP, and he talked to the operating hospital. As far as they are concerned, unless you feel unwell (ie systemic infection already under way), they are not interrested. And they want me then to go to A&E, they won't deal with their own problems. Not impressed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A&E. Unfortunately, the surgeon doing the op aren't scheduled to see folk outside of the in-patients appointments.

I went in after 'both' of my nut operations - the second op was done by a surgeon, but I still went in via A&E, they contacted Urology, they checked me out, then when home, my surgeon phoned me up to check how I was - lots of nasty swelling, but to be expected I was told. My surgeon was excellent though. Did take a very long time for the wound to settle.

Do what they say and go to A&E. They deal with stuff like this every day, so are better prepared to sort it, than the routine surgery departments.

tom73

Guru
Go to A and E and get seen by the on call Orthopod reg who can soon get the on call surgeon if needed. Something is not right sounds as if it's not settling and needs a proper look. It may need draining or another op to sort it out. At the very least an ultra sound and or X-ray. Which well soon show what's going off.

The good thing is your not feeling over all unwell so that is a plus but your better off getting it sorted well you are well enough and not when your feeling crap.

Top Bottom