Servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I have just seen on Facebook that the Lee Valley Canoe and Cycle Centre are offering a service for £30. For your £30 you get brakes, gears, chain and cables cleaned, lubricated and adjusted. Also they pump up your tyres. They also check the headset, bottom bracket and wheels and tyres, informing you and quoting for any work needed. Now to me this all seems a bit pricey for at best 45 minutes work, probably less on a reasonably well looked after bike, but I have to admit my idea of prices is stuck in the 1960's.

The real laugh for me though is they want you to drop your bike in during the weekend and collect it the following weekend as long as no major work is needed. They are having a laugh. I think I will carry on doing my own servicing.

http://www.lvcc.biz/Cycle Servicing.htm

Drago

Legendary Member
So £30 for something that any self respecting cyclist does at least weekly anyway.

lulubel

Über Member
I wouldn't want anybody esle to touch my bike.

My OH got a puncture on her MTB the other day, and when a group of blokes came up and offered to "rescue" her, she gladly stood aside and let them change the tube.

My reaction would have been: "Hands off my bike!"

(In fact, on the couple of occasions I've had punctures lately, my body language must have made it very clear that I was quite capable of managing myself, because the people who offered to help me rode on immediately when I said I was OK.)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
If I was rich and lazy .............
I would get someone to do the cycling for me :laugh:

Graham

I guess it depends on who's perspective you look at it from. At £40 per hour, it looks expensive from our point of view. But from their perspective, they've got to pay the mechanic £10(ish?) per hour and then there are rates, rent, insurance, utility bills, equipment costs, tax. What are you left with, £15 per hour or something like that?

Most of the people I know who have bicycles just own them as they own a lawn mower or a food mixer or a washing machine.

I quite like grubbing around and adjusting things, but the weirdness is in me, not in others.

Many, many people like to take things somewhere to have them fixed or given an annual 'once-over'.

These services are not offered to cycling enthusiasts any more than John's Dodgy Motors off the High Street is aimed at Caterham owners.

I'm not sure it's a rip-off, it's just not something that would appeal to a lot of the contributors to these pages.

For the record, I am a self-respecting cyclist and have been for over forty years, but I've never done all that lot weekly. Some of it, not all of it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If I was rich ( not necessarily lazy) I would live in warmer climates where I could cycle every day without having to worry about the weather!

Top Bottom