Servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
If I was rich I doubt I doubt I would be a cyclist, there would be far to many other distraction around.

As for the price it seems good value to me, I often charge more than that for 5 minute job, but of course they are paying me for my skill and not my time.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Seems fair enough price to me. £30 to check over the bike, minor fettling, bit of oil and clean - got to be 45 minutes worth to be fair. It's only a rip-off if they charge and don't do a proper check up.

I do my own, so wouldn't be interested, but can't see the problem in principle, nor the fee charged.

Robeh

Seems fair enough price to me. £30 to check over the bike, minor fettling, bit of oil and clean - got to be 45 minutes worth to be fair. It's only a rip-off if they charge and don't do a proper check up.

I do my own, so wouldn't be interested, but can't see the problem in principle, nor the fee charged.
Then that's your choice,i wouldn't pay £30 to anybody for a simple procedure....................then that's my choice...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If I was rich ( not necessarily lazy) I would live in warmer climates where I could cycle every day without having to worry about the weather!

And the warmer climate would mean less servicing of the bike making you even richer.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Gosh! Reckon I must have saved enough money doing my own maintenance to pay for another bike (or 2). £10 to fit a bottle cage! £13.95 to fit a tyre!!

Hip Priest

Veteran
I have my bikes serviced once or twice a year by my LBS. Given that the bikes do approximately 2000 miles per year each, they need a bit of fettling, and I'm only really competent at the basics (pumping up tyres and lubing the chain).

Of course, I'm not a proper cyclist.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ignore those who think they're "proper" cyclists. They're usually seriously deficient in some other area to make up for their cycling awesomeness, usually intelligence or penis size. God is very fair with these things.

If you ride for the love of cycling (as opposed to just not being able to afford a car) then you're a proper cyclist.

Ignore those who think they're "proper" cyclists. They're usually seriously deficient in some other area to make up for their cycling awesomeness, usually intelligence or penis size. God is very fair with these things.

If you ride for the love of cycling (as opposed to just not being able to afford a car) then you're a proper cyclist.

I'm not a proper cyclist. I don't even know the size of my penis (which anyway varies according to mood) and do not know the model year of my bicycle. I cannot be proper.

I also drove 15 miles to a meeting yesterday because it was cold and wet and horrid. £2.50 for parking. £2.50!!

Further damning evidence includes my love of non-matching handlebar tape and my ignorant contempt for anything manufactured by Garmin.

green1

Über Member
Then that's your choice,i wouldn't pay £30 to anybody for a simple procedure....................then that's my choice...
Simple for you maybe, I wouldn't pay anyone to do the brakes on my car, but some people will quite happily pay for a mechanic to completely bodge the job.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I think it depends what else is available in the area- if that's the only one some people may not see themselves as having a choice. Some people I know like their stuff serviced by names so will only go Evans/ whoever same as they'll only take their car to VW.
The Evans price list did make me smile though - £10 for a light fitting- my rear light only cost me £12.50 and as for charging £10 to screw a bottle cage on- that's just mean!
Each to their own though.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I like the way the example I quoted call it a full service. To me a full service should mean more than a quick squirt of oil and twiddle a cable adjuster.

Top Bottom