Set up for dark nights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
OK, so the last official day of summers passed (don't know what happenned to the unofficial one - think I was working that day)
So some of us removed the winter stuff a few months ago and now with the nights drawing back in, I figure it's not going to be long before we have weekly 'what light?' threads etc.
Just thought it might be opportune to start a thread where we show examples of how we winterise our rides. Show what different bits of kit look like.
My example. I used to have a Minoura accessory bar.
2008_01120013.JPG

2008_01120014.JPG

OK, pics were taken a few years ago. Can be fitted to the bars, but I always had it on the stem,
But when I stripped it down this year, I realised the minoura wouldn't survive another refit.
It served me well. No complaints. I'd recommend one. I was going to get another, but eventually decided on a change.
After a scan around on google I eventually decided to go for the Thorn (105x150mm). Dead easy to fit.
003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Next things to look for some mudguards......

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I currently use a Cateye front light (a fairly decent one) and two LED rear lights. For commuting, I will be using a Cree T6 and my Cateye for the front and one LED (brightest one) and a fibre flare for the rear (Flare will be mounted horizontally). I also have spoke reflectors for side visibility.

Crankarm

Guru
Gaz, Very helpful. Have you tested the Exposure Max D? The Dinotte is impressive. You could have all those lights on simultaneously ..........................

What goes on in the shed/summer house, or shouldn't I ask :secret: ?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Gaz, Very helpful. Have you tested the Exposure Max D? The Dinotte is impressive. You could have all those lights on simultaneously ..........................

What goes on in the shed/summer house, or shouldn't I ask :secret: ?
Don't have a Max D to test. I suspect it would be similar to the Dinotte but with a little bit more coverage outside the focus beam.

Norm

Don't have a Max D to test. I suspect it would be similar to the Dinotte but with a little bit more coverage outside the focus beam.
The Maxx D on low power is very similar to the Joystick on max. My test results, all taken at fixed exposure, against a CatEye HL135:

Cateye HL135 on its own
th_CateyeHL-EL135.jpg

Cateye HL135 bottom left, against Exposure Joystick on low bottom right. The smallest Exposure on its lowest setting has a broader, brighter beam.
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoysticklow.jpg

Cateye HL135 bottom left, against Exposure Joystick on high, the Cateye has all-but disappeared
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoystickhigh.jpg

Cateye HL135 bottom left, against Exposure MaxxD on low, similar to the Joystick on high
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxlow.jpg

Cateye HL135 bottom left, against Exposure MaxxD on low, yes, the Cateye is still turned on.
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxHigh.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here we go

Front 2 x Hope Vision 1's with 2 x BTwin V100 USB backups

IMAG0292b.JPG

Back

2 x Magicshine MJ818's with 2 RSP Astrums

IMAG0288b.JPG

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have a MaXx-D, but I suspect it's less powerful than the Dinotte. The light you really want is an Exposure Six Pack.

Still, Gaz wins on this topic. Not just hands down, but he's the 800 pound gorilla of the lighting field here.

Reactions: gaz

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For this season of mists and mellow fruitfulness we will be wearing one v2 AyUp (which is two led lamps in one unit) and a pair of Torchy Cree XM-L torches up front, one set to SOS blink pattern. Won't make a blind bit of difference to the drivers; the dodgy ones aren't looking so won't see me anyway but at least I should be able to see within my braking distance.

On the rear a pair of Smart 1/2 watt, one steady one dancing. Ditto re the drivers.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have a MaXx-D, but I suspect it's less powerful than the Dinotte. The light you really want is an Exposure Six Pack.

Still, Gaz wins on this topic. Not just hands down, but he's the 800 pound gorilla of the lighting field here.
They've beefed up the MaXx-D year on year, and now it pumps out 1600 Lumens :becool:

Yay! My six months of riding in the dark are almost here.

I'll be using the same front lighting rig as last year which happens to be the same lights as the
original poster, with both side by side although the left unit is aimed at the kerb.

Also, a very high intensity focus-able led light on my helmet for aiming "where my head turns".

I'll be looking to improve my rear lights though, with a cateye under the seat at the moment but want
to add a red led on my helmet.

Downward

Guru
Just ordered another 1200 Lumen light off E bay for £20 and a newer Smart 1 watt Rear to double up on what I have.

No idea where to fit the Smart light though as it comes with no bracket and this year I have a rear Rack.

Top Bottom