setting up a cycle workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
How much money would be required to set up a cycle workshop suitable to trade as a cycle workshop for the public.

also what would be required tools wise.

cheers

£10,000 minimum if you're going to even begin to be professional.

Sure, people will tell you how to cut corners, but if you want to do it properly then that's what you're talking.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
to be brutally honest, if you need to know what tools you need you are a very long way from opening up a workshop.

You could do it cheaper if you can source spares when needed rather than carrying them as stock but this will hit your margins and don't forget that business rates will be payable on any commercial property.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
to be brutally honest, if you need to know what tools you need you are a very long way from opening up a workshop.
yh i meant to put in there beyond the normal tools for adjustment and fitting, stands etc

You could do it cheaper if you can source spares when needed rather than carrying them as stock but this will hit your margins and don't forget that business rates will be payable on any commercial property.
yup sure aware of those issuess ty

;)

The 10k is just for tools and spares stock - and you do NEED spares stock or you just waste time.

A workshop would need to be 1000sq ft minimum so that you can store all the bikes awaiting repair/collection and that will cost you around £100 a week.

Then there's business rates, insurance, etc, etc.

02GF74

Über Member
10000 sq ft minimm? :biggrin: there is geezer in in the indoor market that has set up a cycle stall. doubt that it much more than 50 sq ft.

you will need to thik of unsurance agasint a) you messing up someones bike and :wacko: theft.

don't be put off by peeps saying if you need to ask, you shouldn;t be setting up - we all got to start somewhere and we don't know everything either.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I would imagine it would be setting up any other business you get what you can afford and build it up as you go along.

Try telling Spa Cycles you need 10000 sq ft :biggrin: its so small you can barely move and they do ok.

I set my business up with £5.00 and now 15 years later it provides me with a very nice living thank you very much. If you want to do it just get on with it and figure it out as you go along and good luck.

bigtoe

Über Member
Basic tools and a good stand £1000 if you have a reasonable size garage why not use that a nice sign on the front of your house if you live some where busy. a bit of insurance and a couple of adverts in the local press and bobs your uncle it ill start slow but if your better than the opposition (cheaper as well) as you make money buy more tools, and or a mobile mechanic option to people in your town. If i didnt have a job this is what i would like to do. SIMPLE'S:smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What about operating out of a van... I've seen a couple of different ones who have a workshop set up in the back of a large van, with all the tools and spares around the sides. I imagine they only do the more basic stuff in the van but can take more complicated stuff back to their base.

Top Bottom