Seven years..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bloody hell, I just looked it up and a pack of fags is twelve quid now. Tobacco's fifteen quid an ounce. How is anybody still smoking?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I stopped in 1977, I had a cold and had to stop because of that, but when the cold was gone I never restarted smoking.
Something similar for me - caught a very bad cold while away for a weekend and stopped to give myself a chance to recover and never restarted.
Bloody hell, I just looked it up and a pack of fags is twelve quid now. Tobacco's fifteen quid an ounce. How is anybody still smoking?
Those I work with are either on hand rolling tobacco or vaping.

si_c

Guru
April 2012 for me - I'd just been made redundant and couldn't afford the 20-30 a day I was smoking. As with @Drago I just stopped, was irritable for 3 days or so and restless for a week or so after that.

Don't miss it at all now.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I gave up cigarettes in 2021.

Crack cocaine is much nicer.

I still puff my pipe 2 or 3 times a week, just enjoy the solitude while walking my dawg, but I never smoke in the house, car or in the presence of Mrs D.

I wanted to give up the tabs and had had a few half hearted attempts, and I just needed a push. Mrs D falling will with MS was what it took for me dig my heels in, and I decided i didn't want the smoke or chemicals near her. I smoked a final tab, and thqt was it. For 2 or 3 days i was a bit twitchy but it quickly passed after that and I never touched another one.

Naturally, with the pipe I don't inhale and just enjoy the flavour.
A (serious) question.
Having never smoked, I assume pipe tobacco is the same as cigarette tobacco?
If so, why can you inhale one but not the other ?
Oh, also, if pipe tobacco is not inhaled how does it become addictive ?

contadino

Veteran
11 years since I quit. Much like the OP by the sounds - got an ecig, ditched the tobacco, then sort of got fed up with the ecig.

However, in december the doctors were trying to diagnose some breathing difficulties I was having and jumped on the 'ex-smoker' thing. Moral of the story - don't start in the first place and it's never too soon to quit if you have.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member

There are a lot of blackmarket cigarettes out there.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It's been about 15 years since I quit; 10 L&B a day. But stupidly I started up on the e-cig about 7 years ago and still use it. I am still sick of the hassle and addiction of an e-cig but can't seem to stop. My partner still smokes about 5 a day; on the very rare occasion that my e-cig has run out I have had one of her cigs but it now tastes discusting and I'd rather go without and wait for my e-cig to charge.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I remember the two reasons I've never smoked. One was the influence of my father; the best thing he ever instilled in me was a hatred for cigarettes which he got from his father. The other was, well I was going to try it anyway but the way I did it couldn't have been better designed by anyone. I had an obsession with cowboy films and TV shows and they were always chewing tobacco. So I thought, I'll give that a go, it looks incredibly cool. I found an ashtray at a relatives on a regular visit to their house and they all smoked there. I noticed that the astray contained a stubbed out fag with some tobacco left inside so I sprinkled the contents back into the ashtray and stuck my tongue in to gather some of that oh-so-cool substance - and was as sick as a dog! The worst, most foul-tasting abomination ever brought into existence. Who on earth regards that as pleasurable? I've never been near tobacco since, quiet the opposite in fact as I've always shunned smokers and gone out of my way to not be near them when they light up.

Drago

Legendary Member
I order my my pipe tobacco online from a poncy craft type UK supplier. An ounce is about £16, but lasts me 2 months.

When smoking is extinct, what will the Treasury tax in it's place to replace the lost revenue income?

A (serious) question.
Having never smoked, I assume pipe tobacco is the same as cigarette tobacco?
If so, why can you inhale one but not the other ?
Oh, also, if pipe tobacco is not inhaled how does it become addictive ?

1. In essence its the same, but its a different strain of plant and blend. The smoke is more aromatic and quite flavoursome. One inhales cigarette smoke for the hit and as long as its not rough as a dogs stubble it doesnt matter what it tates like. When smoking a pipe one rolls the tobacco around the mouth to enjoy the flavour, so the flavour and armoa (which are probably closely linked) are very important.

2. You can inhale when smoking a pipe, but its not really the done thing and few do.

3. Im a bit torn on the question of addiction for pipe tobacco. It is supposed to be addictive, and I guess the tissues of the mouth and nose permit trace amounts of nicotine into the blood stream. On the other hand, there is zero 'hit'when smoking a pipe, and ive gone weeks and months without puffing with zero craving or anxiety - conversely, half a day without a cigarette and I'd have made Victor Meldrew look calm and relaxed.

I don't doubt that technically, by some scientific measure, pipe smoking may be addictive, but at any practical level I have noticed zero evidence of this myself.

Cigars are a different matter. Its about 50/50 as to whether one inhales or not. Typically the smaller cigarello type cigars are inhaled, and the big fat stogies are not, but thats not a hard and fast rule.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think chewing tobacco was different to smoking tobacco and (I guess) tastes better. Also, a spent fag end has loads of tar and nastiness in it so would taste far worse than even unused rolling tobacco. A mate of mine had some snuff once, I tried it and it wasn't ghastly, just not to my taste.

True story: I once met an old chap who was a very heavy smoker, but when he'd smoked a cig down to the butt, he'd stuff the butt into his cheek and leave it there until he lit up a new one xx(

Top Bottom