Seven years..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rubbish. Not a single one of us pops out of the womb needing to drive a car. People "need" (if indeed they really need to do so at all) to drive a car because of their own actions and life choices have directed and caused them to be in that position.

In any case, if you're dying of respiratory problems related to traffic pollution it is of zero consequence whatsoever whether the drivers 'needed' to drive or not - you'll still end up just as dead either way.

Virtually no one needs to drive a car - they just make weak excuses to allow themselves to continue to do so.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've never smoked, not even a single drag on a cigarette, I saw the effect smoking had on my dad. Congratulations to everyone who has given up, I believe it can be very hard to do.
Wish my son wouldn't smoke but there you go.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Rubbish. Not a single one of us pops out of the womb needing to drive a car. People "need" (if indeed they really need to do so at all) to drive a car because of their own actions and life choices have directed and caused them to be in that position.

In any case, if you're dying of respiratory problems related to traffic pollution it is of zero consequence whatsoever whether the drivers 'needed' to drive or not - you'll still end up just as dead either way.

Virtually no one needs to drive a car - they just make weak excuses to allow themselves to continue to do so.
Since the demise of the horse and horse and cart as modern modes of transport have replaced them, hence going from a to b is now done on two or four wheels, making it a necessity to drive or ride for millions. Smoking is derived entirely from personal choice and not imposed by modern society. I am not saying everyone should be driving, but the fact is that for many, they don't have a choice.

Drago

Legendary Member
Driving is not a genuine necessity for virtually anyone.

As aforementioned, no one was born needing drive. Not one single person. Ever. If you know different, please name them.

People "need" to drive becaude of their own life choices. 6.2 billion people neither own or have access to a car - clear evidence that the vast majority of people have no need to drive and survive without being able to do so.

Perhaps you could explain why the typical person needs to drive, as opposed to doing so for mere convenience? You might start by explaining what you think 'need' really means. I think you have the words need, lazy and convenient rather muddled up.

The average car journey in Manchester is less than a kilometer in length. Yes, under one thousand metres. Can you explain why anyone, aside from tbouse with disability/mobility issuses, needs to drive a car for a journey that can be comfortably walked in less than a quarter of an hour?

Please don't simply rephrase the same platitudes - instead, try and actually advance the discussion and explain and justify your understanding of "need".

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Since the demise of the horse and horse and cart as modern modes of transport have replaced them, hence going from a to b is now done on two or four wheels, making it a necessity to drive or ride for millions. Smoking is derived entirely from personal choice and not imposed by modern society. I am not saying everyone should be driving, but the fact is that for many, they don't have a choice.
In Vietnam you'd have it arse backwards... Smoking is a necessity but driving a car is a joke... :tongue:

In fairness, that country is one of the fastest growing economies in S.E Asia and most are on bicycles and at a push, scooters...

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I started this thread in the hope that it might give encouragement to anyone who wants to stop smoking and the hope that other ex-smokers could share their experiences. It can be done, keep believing, keep trying. It is one decision that you can make that you will never regret.

Anyone who wants to continue to smoke is free to do so.

Car usage has nothing to do with it. People have moved around since the beginning of time. I'm sure many horses were abused, injured or killed back in the day. The internal combustion engine has made travelling easier but it's become over-used. There are many and varied reasons to reduce car usage but that should be a separate discussion and thread.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I have a posh Cuban cigar that a friend gave me a few years ago as a present after returning from a holiday in Cuba. It's in a drawer somewhere and I have zero desire to smoke it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Driving is not a genuine necessity for virtually anyone.

As aforementioned, no one was born needing drive. Not one single person. Ever. If you know different, please name them.

People "need" to drive becaude of their own life choices. 6.2 billion people neither own or have access to a car - clear evidence that the vast majority of people have no need to drive and survive without being able to do so.

Perhaps you could explain why the typical person needs to drive, as opposed to doing so for mere convenience? You might start by explaining what you think 'need' really means. I think you have the words need, lazy and convenient rather muddled up.

The average car journey in Manchester is less than a kilometer in length. Yes, under one thousand metres. Can you explain why anyone, aside from tbouse with disability/mobility issuses, needs to drive a car for a journey that can be comfortably walked in less than a quarter of an hour?

Please don't simply rephrase the same platitudes - instead, try and actually advance the discussion and explain and justify your understanding of "need".
Need to drive to the shop to buy fags.

Top Bottom