Severe cable rub in seat tube - safe to ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've seen a few other frames with equally severe cable rub, so it's definitely possible... But could well be due to inept tool use.

Either way the strength of the tube is clearly going to be compromised. The million dollar question is whether there are any significant forces applied to that area of the seat tube.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For recreational pottering about I would go for the "just use it but keep an eye on it" approach.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well I've just finished polishing up the frame, so am planning on going down the "ride it and keep an eye on it" route.

Just need to source some shock bushings and mounting hardware before I can start the build in earnest. I'm a bit of a novice with suspension linkages so will have to do a bit of googling to see exactly what I need.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I really wouldn't worry about it, it's quite smooth so stresses will flow round and through it. If it was near a point load in the tube I'd worry but not in the middle as that is. If it's going to cause a crack you'll get plenty of notice.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Cheers @Globalti - I've already decided to build it up and give it a go. Going to do a build thread over on retro bike, I'll provide a link if anyone's interested.

Top Bottom