Sexism and fat shaming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found this really sad

https://thelonelycyclist.wordpress.com/2015/08/16/skinny-cyclist-not-likely/

thelonelycyclist said:
Two cyclists come past me quite fast, one in black and red Castelli, the other in black and yellow Castelli cafe kit.
‘…off the farking road you fat bitch…’

Power to thelonelycyclist. As for the men, well, they are pathetic angry people. I'd guess one of two causes. There are some men who feel women owe them something; if they find a woman attractive, they think they have the right to tell her and they think she should be grateful; if they find a woman unattractive, they take it as a personal affront which gives them the right to "respond" angrily.

Or possibly - quite possibly - they are attracted to her, and feel ashamed of that attraction, so it turns sour and abusive.

Either way, the selfishness of someone to abuse a stranger is just appalling.

This sort of incident is not that common: I've got a huge arse, big thighs and cankles and I've never heard any abuse from another cyclist. And I've done plenty of km around the area thelonelycyclist travels.

(already mentioned here, but worthy of it's own thread, I think)

winjim

Smash the cistern
I saw thisyesterday. Really horrible. Then today, a picture popped up on facebook of a larger lady riding a bike with loads of positive slogans, supposedly in solidarity with the article's author. It looked like one of those pictures taken at a sportive or something and it got me wondering, does that woman even know her photo is being used in this way, and has she against her will become a poster girl for fat cyclists? And despite the supposed positive message, isn't that just as bad?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I would like this but it just feels inappropriate to.
Agreed, for all the getting hot under the collar for the odd RLJ or helmet activist this stuff is what truly needs to be stomped out.

@slowmotion, at which point is taking something seriously justification for treating another person like this? Or is someone who isn't stick thin an insult to serious cyclists?

I may not last long in this thread, it has the potential to make me quite uncivil.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Agreed, for all the getting hot under the collar for the odd RLJ or helmet activist this stuff is what truly needs to be stomped out.

@slowmotion, at which point is taking something seriously justification for treating another person like this? Or is someone who isn't stick thin an insult to serious cyclists?

I may not last long in this thread, it has the potential to make me quite uncivil.
I read slowmotion's comment as an observation, not a justifcation for such obnoxious behaviour.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't believe it to be honest. I can't imagine any cyclist abusing any other cyclist like that. She has come across two loathsome individuals in a short space of time, no not having it.
You really don't believe it happens...honestly...truly..
We've had guys come on here who've been abused for being on the heavy side, or just because they were riding an old bike

Lots of people have the capacity to be utterly foul to others who perhaps don't conform with their own blinkered stereotypes...regardless of their mode of transport

As a currently overweight and previously very overweight female I've had ample abuse, while cycling and otherwise

I'm sure lots of male cyclists have thought this, it's only the utterly contemptible twats who feel the need to say it out loud

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I read slowmotion's comment as an observation, not a justifcation for such obnoxious behaviour.
I may have read more in to the line break than was there.

And unfortunately with @Kbrook 's comment, I can completely believe it. Fortunately I'm merely a fat bloke so I don't warrant quite so much ire, but I recognise it all too well.

Kbrook

Veteran
My other half is a largish lady she tells me she has never once experienced anything other than encouragement from other cyclists. Hence my scepticism of the article. But if you are all telling me it happens it truly is shocking, maybe I just don't want to believe it.

e-rider

crappy member
in my teens and twenties I was a skinny cyclist, but now at forty I'm several stone overweight. Most people at my local cycling club make regular and sometimes offensive comments about my size - in the past as a thin person I never even imagined that this sort of thing happened so much to larger people; but now that I'm the larger person I see it first hand - I don't know why people have the need to take the piss out of other people all the time but sadly they do!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
...there are some men who feel women owe them something...

Well put... a couple of years ago a friend was telling me how much he liked and respected a mutual friend of ours, then said "but she's horrendously ugly" ...he got into a bit of a defensive grump, giving it "I'm only saying!" when i asked "What's the point of saying something nice if you're only going to punctuate it with something shallow and nasty?"

It's as if it's the woman's problem if their face/figure/breasticles don't meet with a man's approval... it's sad, it's shallow, and should always be challenged.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
@Kbrook - likewise, and I also wish I could believe it didn't happen. I'm not sure if my wife has had it, but she rarely rides in all female company. I've heard it first hand from a friend when she was riding with another woman. I don't have many links with cyclists outside of CC so it becomes quite a big sample I guess. My wife hasn't had any comments while riding with me, but it would seem if there is a man in the group they are less likely to happen. That probably says something, doesn't it.

vickster

Legendary Member
My other half is a largish lady she tells me she has never once experienced anything other than encouragement from other cyclists. Hence my scepticism of the article. But if you are all telling me it happens it truly is shocking, maybe I just don't want to believe it.
Maybe the Surrey hills attract more knob ends in Lycra than other parts of the country

sarahale

Über Member
Group of 4 guys once overtook me laughing and said nastily 'why are you bothering?! Go home!'

But in 4 years of cycling everyday, that's the only bad comment I've had from another cyclist.

I reckon if I saw them now I could probably overtake them on my mtb anyway ;) ;)

Top Bottom