sexist attitudes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
You could fit my windscreen wipers Sandra. I went back to the local shop three times after they flogged me the wrong wipers. The third time I took the whole damn shebang, car, wipers, dog, wallet, camel, hamster, anything I thought might be relevant to them looking up the right fecking windscreen wiper!

I almost couldn't take them back the 2nd time as one of the plastic bits shot into the engine bay when I removed it's plastic ill-fitting arse in a, surely not, grump, Cue some furtling and swearing as I retrieved it, so I'd much rather Sandra had the hastle than me.
I wish you had come to my shop, if anyone returns wipers I always go out and check the replacements fit.
I love leaning over car bonnets in the wet:whistle:

tyred

Legendary Member
We have a customer who will never talk to any of my female colleagues but insists on being put through to a man, usually me.

The thing is, depending on what he wants help with, the girls are better qualified to answer some of his questions than I am.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Back on topic though, would some of the females on here consider it sexist if I held a door open for them?
It depends. Normally, no.
But I've encountered a few really old-school types who think that not only should they hold the door open for a woman, but politeness demands that the woman goes through first. Not a problem when the door in question opens towards you,but if it opens away these plonkers will open it, and then stand there in the gap so you have to squeeze past them - so much easier to just go first or let me open the sodding door!

I'm not offended by this though, just greatly irritated.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Hmm,there was a tale on mountain bike forums where a bike had had some bolts over tightened during a service.
customer complained about damaged threads from over tightened bolts.

he asked to see the manager ,who was a lady, he said why aren't you mechanics using a torque wrench??

We dont have talking wrenches here sir.....ahh well
personally id not let Any Halfords staff near my cars vans bikes etc.
no disrespect meant to the ladies or halfords.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Pat Hanlon was a well known cycle shop owner on the North Circular Road around the Tottenham area. She sold highly regarded frames with her own name on them and was a top wheel builder. I read an article once where she said that back in the sixties and seventies it was not unusual for men to walk out of the shop when they found who would be building their wheels, muttering "No woman is going to build wheels for me, they don't know what they're doing".

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd do it for a man as well, it's just good manners.

I asked because years ago I was walking through St Anne's Arcade in Manchester and held the door open for a lady/woman/female coming towards me.

I got a frosty look and a, 'I'm quite capable of opening my own door!"

It took me ages to stop laughing.

The reply would be "Well I'm quite capable of slamming it in your face but i chose not to." :rolleyes:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Pat Hanlon was a well known cycle shop owner on the North Circular Road around the Tottenham area. She sold highly regarded frames with her own name on them and was a top wheel builder. I read an article once where she said that back in the sixties and seventies it was not unusual for men to walk out of the shop when they found who would be building their wheels, muttering "No woman is going to build wheels for me, they don't know what they're doing".
I remember the Pat Hanlon shop when i was a kid, in between Palmers green and Southgate, was many moons ago.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
[QUOTE 3532087, member: 9609"]Out of curiosity what age was the bloke ?
And do women find men of a certain age group worse than others, and do you feel younger people are less sexist? (i'm not thinking men get more sexist with age but could be more sexist due to when they were brought up)[/QUOTE]
Good point, he was in his 50s atleast. Older men seem more amused than put out by the idea of a girl doing the job. Young lads are sometimes surprised, and maybe a little embarrassed. The 30 something's don't bat an eyelid. But older women will ask if we have a lad who can do it, middle aged women worry about my manicure lol. And young lasses just play with their phones!

Top Bottom