sexist attitudes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Customer " I'm giving you £4 to put them on?" ( them being wiper blades)
Colleague " no, you're giving her £3 to put them on "
Customer " I'm not having some woman messing about with my car"
Me " fine, fit them yourself"
Customer looks confused
Me " that is very rude"
I didn't quite catch all his muttering but he wasn't best pleased and left without the wiper blades.

Apparently I need to learn to rise above it. :cursing:
What happened to the saying, the customer is always right.:whistle::popcorn:

stephec

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3530070, member: 9609"]I was sewing my new jeans up the other day and the skit and stupid remarks from my wife and her friends has been unreal - all very very sexist[/QUOTE]

When my little girl was in The Brownies it was me that used to sew all her badges on.

lee1980sim

maybe... just maybe, he wasn't being sexist and was just saying he didn't want some random person (who just happened to be female) putting wipers on his car, maybe he would've preferred it if you had been wearing some scruffy mechanics overalls to look more like you knew what you were doing rather than a "shop assistant"

stephec

Legendary Member
Its not sexist to hold a door open for women. Ever.
I'd do it for a man as well, it's just good manners.

I asked because years ago I was walking through St Anne's Arcade in Manchester and held the door open for a lady/woman/female coming towards me.

I got a frosty look and a, 'I'm quite capable of opening my own door!"

It took me ages to stop laughing.

stephec

Legendary Member
maybe... just maybe, he wasn't being sexist and was just saying he didn't want some random person (who just happened to be female) putting wipers on his car, maybe he would've preferred it if you had been wearing some scruffy mechanics overalls to look more like you knew what you were doing rather than a "shop assistant"
It the fact her refered to her gender that probably makes it sexist.

I'm still waiting to find out what these 'womanly things' are. Where can I get them??

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Back on topic though, would some of the females on here consider it sexist if I held a door open for them?
Only if you let it slam in a man's face. I just consider it good manners for a person to hold a door for another person.
[QUOTE 3530070, member: 9609"]I was sewing my new jeans up the other day and the skit and stupid remarks from my wife and her friends has been unreal - all very very sexist - but a right laugh all the same[/QUOTE]
Some "friendly" sexism is funny, some is downright rude.

He was more than happy when the male colleague offering fitting, and I was wearing my dirty mechanic's hi vis because I'd been in and out fitting various things all morning!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 3530070, member: 9609"]I was sewing my new jeans up the other day and the skit and stupid remarks from my wife and her friends has been unreal - all very very sexist - but a right laugh all the same[/QUOTE]

I taught my wife how to knit and my daughter how to crochet.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
No you don't need to rise above it. The car owner was a sexist numpty who can't even fit wiper blades! I think that you had the moral high ground, securely held.

I wonder if he can manage the technicalities of checking oil and filling up with fuel.
Point of order here... Is it considered a necessary male attribute to be able to do this stuff? If so, why? I'm crap at stuff like that, but I'm great at cooking, cleaning, washing etc. And I have a penis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom