Shakespeare SPRING 100 - 7 April 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So, how do you chaps do on 'the hill'? :thumbsup:

I got over a third of the way before I stopped, but much to my surprise over half the riders where walking around me so I didn't feel so guilty. A short walk, then back in the saddle all the way to the top.
To be honest the climb out of Long Compton after the feed station seemed worse.
The Saintbury is going to be on my main circuit route from now until I manage it all the way up in one go.
I may use the hilly southern half of the Shakespeare100 as a ride to get the legs up to speed.

My target for the day was just to complete it which I did!:dance:
But it did show up my weakness for climbing when the legs were tired.

If I remember rightly Colin it was you who put me up to entering this event. Thankyou.:thanks:

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
Hill? - that's what we call a "slope" :evil:

The one after Long Compton was new for us this time - it's short and sharp, but not long after you've had a rest at the FS ... if you'd have ridden when the FS was at Barton on the Heath you'd have liked the one up to Little Compton ... even steeper!

Pictures are now online ... in fact Brian has already bought one ... not sure if it's true but I heard that he was selling autographed copies!

Rob

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If I remember rightly Colin it was you who put me up to entering this event. Thankyou.:thanks:
I'm glad that you had a good time. Keep up the good work!

There's an outside chance that I might be well enough and fit enough to ride the autumn event again this year, in which case it would be nice to have some CC company! If not, maybe next year? :thumbsup:

AndyPeace

It was my second time up Saintbury hill. I was a lot more tired this time around, as I'd ridden 40+ miles already by this point (I rode in from Worcester) Managed to get up it and smile for the photo at the top. It was a lot harder to keep on pedaling when you see people walking it. :smile: I agree with Brian the climb after Long Compton was hard and I did walk a few steps of that, but by that point I was tired and surrounded by people doing the same. Made it home too! 121 miles in 11hrs 15mins (including resting time) and around 9hrs 30mins moving time. I didn't go particularly fast, but did mess up my strava data, as I forgot to switch on the gps at the beginning of the ride, and it's counted around 25mins of resting time as moving time... that's my only regret for the day, it was a nice experience of a sportive event and I walked cycled away feeling a great sense of accomplishment. Very tempted to sign up for the 100miles, but to ride a drop bar, instead of the hybrid I rode this time.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
It was my second time up Saintbury hill. I was a lot more tired this time around, as I'd ridden 40+ miles already by this point (I rode in from Worcester) Managed to get up it and smile for the photo at the top. It was a lot harder to keep on pedaling when you see people walking it. :smile: I agree with Brian the climb after Long Compton was hard and I did walk a few steps of that, but by that point I was tired and surrounded by people doing the same. Made it home too! 121 miles in 11hrs 15mins (including resting time) and around 9hrs 30mins moving time. I didn't go particularly fast, but did mess up my strava data, as I forgot to switch on the gps at the beginning of the ride, and it's counted around 25mins of resting time as moving time... that's my only regret for the day, it was a nice experience of a sportive event and I walked cycled away feeling a great sense of accomplishment. Very tempted to sign up for the 100miles, but to ride a drop bar, instead of the hybrid I rode this time.

Chapeau ... but we had one nutter who rode from Stourbridge - did the event - rode back to Stourbridge ... just over 140 miles! Mad.

If you are entering for September the 100 miler (always the more popular) is filling fast - about 50 new entries since the weekend ... obviously people like our events:smile:

Rob

Congratulations to all the Macride team who made the event possible. The route was fantastic with some great climbs (all of which I managed to ride up^_^) and a fast run to the end. This was my first sportive and will not be my last, already looking for more. Well done to Rob and everyone involved.

Top Bottom