Shall I buy a motorola G5 or G6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking at buying a Motorola. After recommendations for the G5 in a previous thread on CycleChat I was considering going for this, but now I see the G6 has just come out.

Looking on Amazon I could get a G5 16GB with 3GB of ram dual sim for £147 or single sim 2Gb ram for £119

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-M...F8&qid=1527186496&sr=8-4&keywords=motorola+g5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-M...F8&qid=1527186496&sr=8-3&keywords=motorola+g5

A G6 dual sim 64GB 4GBram on Amazon is currently retailing at £239. The single sim is 32GB 3GB ram is £219.95

https://www.amazon.co.uk/motorola-5...F8&qid=1527186959&sr=1-5&keywords=motorola+g6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/motorola-5...F8&qid=1527186959&sr=1-6&keywords=motorola+g6

So shall I pay the extra and buy the G6 and if so shall I go for a single or dual sim, or shall I go for the G5 dual sim or single sim.

I want to use it for keeping in touch with my son who travels a lot globally due to his work (Whatsapp) and use the camera for social, trains and close-ups of flowers and googling various stuff when I cant get to the computer.

I am scratching my head what is the best option. Advice from the more tech savvy members is much appreciated.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I use a g5 and like it a lot , camera is good and what's app works fine

can be heavy on battery useage , sure mine is a single sim

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I got the G6 4/64 version from Amazon this week, very happy with it. Had a G2 beforehand. Teamed with a Virgin SIM only contract, £9 a month for more than I will ever use in a month.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Here's the spec comparison:
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-G5,Motorola-Moto-G6/phones/10421,10788
The G6 is rather bigger with a sharper screen, it has a glass body rather than aluminium/plastic (more likely to break if dropped), camera about the same (G6 camcorder can record higher def 4k), G6 has 4gb ram as opposed to 2gb (less stutter when scrolling, smoother operation) and the G6 has 64GB internal storage against a measly 16GB on the 5, so it will need a memory card pretty soon. The G6 memory can also be expanded. Battery about the same but life will be shorter on the G6 due to the bigger higher def screen.

If you want the very best camera on a phone right now you need Google's Pixel2. I've got one and its great but for everyday tasks the G6 should fit the bill

By way Alexa the Google voice assistant is brilliant, available on all Android phones, lightning fast. You'll never type a search again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User16390

I am leaning towards a G6, but I am a little concerned about the glass body. I will need to buy an effective protective cover.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
If you get the G6 from Amazon it comes with a cover. *edit*Think you get it wherever you buy it.
IMG_20180525_093343163.jpg
IMG_20180525_093301904.jpg

I would not think you would need dual SIM unless you know you have a specific need. Dual SIM allows you effectively to have two phone numbers (separate contracts or PAYG cards) in the same phone.

They are of more use in places where there are intra-country roaming charges and it can cost significantly more to call outside your own network.

Maybe if you travel a lot to places where calling would be expensive on your European network it could be handier than faffing about changing SIM cards. I guess it might also be useful if you currently carry a work phone and a private phone. You could put both SIMs in one.

I can't speak for the G6 because I don't have one but from reviews, it seems to have moved slightly away from where the G series had positioned themselves, a bit posher and more feature rich and stylish and consequently, more costly.

I have the G5 and it's perfect for my needs. It lacks, NFC and a magnetometer but the rest, 16Gb memory, 2Gb ram, excellent screen and fingerprint recognition for extra security (so you can set all your banking apps for fingerprint access) works really well, in fact so well I no longer need a tablet or take my laptop away with me, absolutely no need.

Levo-Lon

Guru
G5 is a super phone ,i was after one but no stock so got a nokia 5 which is also a super phone for about £170.
I just pay £10.60 pm for a sim and buy a phone

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I am leaning towards a G6, but I am a little concerned about the glass body. I will need to buy an effective protective cover.
I should go for it but you'll need something a bit more substantial than the included protector.
You might find it easier typing on the bigger screen too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5255457, member: 45"]I just still those gel covers and a screen protector on my phones.[/QUOTE]
Its up to the OP but I wouldn't risk it on an all glass phone.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I would definitely invest in a decent case, there are millions around to buy. I have Moto E4 Plus and I love it, I just wish the camera was better. I bought this handset because my LG G5 just crapped itself. I am so impressed with the battery life - especially on long rides

I may buy another handset come upgrade time in November( (if this handset busts), or I may just got for another contract. I am so fed up of spending £50 per month with EE. I would much rather keep my cheap handset and go Sim Only!

Top Bottom