Shall I buy a motorola G5 or G6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User16390

I purchased a Motorola G6 and a lovely phone it is too. The battery is great and the camera takes perfectly good photos

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’m planning to get a G5 or G6 - undecided as yet. Can anyone say how these compare with the G3** which my son has used for years and still works brilliantly.

** Which is why I’m going for Motorola on the presumption the newer ones are at least as good if not better?

Garry A

Calibrating.....
More ram, more storage, faster processor and probably a better battery. Apps are becoming more resource hungry and older phones (like my G2) become slower. I got the increased memory G6 from Amazon to extend its useful life.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I purchased a Motorola G6 and a lovely phone it is too. The battery is great and the camera takes perfectly good photos

Can I ask if you are still happy? I'm particularly interested in:

1. Camera is said to be "laggy" - have you noticed this?
2. Camera again - I'm just a point and shoot user, some of my images are great, others are average as I have no talent - it's called luck!!. What is the point and shoot like?
3. What's the battery life like? I'm a very average user. No gaming at all. Email, camera, 10 calls per week, web browsing 2 hours per day at most

I'm trying to decide between the Moto G6 and the Moto G6 Play. After weeks of agonising I'm ready to buy!!

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I find the camera to be just fine, I'm a point and shoot photographer too. I charge it everyday but I play the occasional game and watch a lot of YouTube video. I'd rather have the extra memory etc of the G6 over the larger battery of the G6 play.
Edit, it does charge very quickly.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
[QUOTE 5255542, member: 45"]He's only inactive because he can't get the fingerprint sensor to work.[/QUOTE]

After he sand papered his finger prints to evade the authorities.

OP
OP
U

User16390

Can I ask if you are still happy? I'm particularly interested in:

1. Camera is said to be "laggy" - have you noticed this?
2. Camera again - I'm just a point and shoot user, some of my images are great, others are average as I have no talent - it's called luck!!. What is the point and shoot like?
3. What's the battery life like? I'm a very average user. No gaming at all. Email, camera, 10 calls per week, web browsing 2 hours per day at most

I'm trying to decide between the Moto G6 and the Moto G6 Play. After weeks of agonising I'm ready to buy!!

Hi there

The camera has no lag and the quality of the photos are very good. Nearly as good as my old Sony which had an excellent camera.

Point and shoot is all I use and I am perfectly happy with it.

The battery is very good, I am constantly using it and I get a full day out of it. As mentioned previously in the thread what I particularly like is the fast charge time. Great if you forgot to put it on charge and have limited time to get some power in the battery.

I can thoroughly recommend the G6 a lot cheaper than my old Sony and beat it's in every department apart from the camera, which is still perfectly good for what I want.

I hope this helps :smile:

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've just gone through the mobile buying loop myself and was also looking at the Moto G6 but in the end went for a Honor 9 (made by Huwaei). Had it a couple of weeks now and no complaints whatsoever. What drew me to this phone was the dual camera setup which I have found to take very good pictures in both JPEG and DNG format (so important for capturing your pride and joy in front of a gate, church, etc ^_^) and the smaller 5.15" screen size so that I can now actually fit it easily into a jersey pocket. The display itself is an IPS type and for once I can actually see it in bright sunlight! Contrast is good with vibrant but not over saturated colours.

Battery life seems pretty good, doesn't seem to get lower than about 50% for a days use, I charge mine every night so not a problem anyway.
The processor is very snappy so no lag when taking photo's etc. Also noticed that now I get better wifi and mobile reception so maybe the antenna design is better than my old one.

Got mine from AO.com for £239:
https://ao.com/product/51091sny-hon....z_AG=Other&WT.z_AT=&WT.z_KW=futurepublishing

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I purchased a G6 play on Tuesday and I'm very pleased. Having used my son's G3 and a Nexus 7 tablet I'm familiar with Android so the change from iOS is simple enough.

Most impressive is the battery life. I have used the phone as normal, possibly more so as there is obviously more to do with setting up, installing apps etc.

I've had 51 hours use from a single charge and I'm on 4% now. My iPhone 5, just under 5 years old, would last 6-7 hours at best - clearly use has taken its toll but it never got close to 50+ hours.

I think shutting down Bluetooth will improve this further.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Well I purchased a G6 play on Tuesday and I'm very pleased. Having used my son's G3 and a Nexus 7 tablet I'm familiar with Android so the change from iOS is simple enough.

Most impressive is the battery life. I have used the phone as normal, possibly more so as there is obviously more to do with setting up, installing apps etc.

I've had 51 hours use from a single charge and I'm on 4% now. My iPhone 5, just under 5 years old, would last 6-7 hours at best - clearly use has taken its toll but it never got close to 50+ hours.

I think shutting down Bluetooth will improve this further.
Try setting Network Search to manual, instead of automatic. It'll last longer still.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Try setting Network Search to manual, instead of automatic. It'll last longer still.
Can I just ask, how do you do that and what are the consequences? I'm going down to my sister in law's place next week in the middle of albino banjo-picker country, and I know from experience that the phone's incessant desperate efforts to find a network just kills the battery. Would this help that problem? And if so is there a downside?

classic33

Leg End Member
Can I just ask, how do you do that and what are the consequences? I'm going down to my sister in law's place next week in the middle of albino banjo-picker country, and I know from experience that the phone's incessant desperate efforts to find a network just kills the battery. Would this help that problem? And if so is there a downside?
Default is Automatic, the phone constantly searches for a stronger signal. Manual it gets the signal without the constant searching.

It can be slower to get a signal if it loses it.

Top Bottom