Shameful admissions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Despite the thread title, which is merely a device to pull in the punters, there are no judgements here: this is a Safe Place.

I'll go first, as an OP should: I cannot wrap handlebar tape. Or tighten spokes (never mind build a wheel). These by virtue of the fact that I've never done them, rather than feeling they're beyond my capabilities. Probably I could do both if I watched a video or two. It's just that neither has ever come up, and I've got enough on my plate without stuffing my brain with unnecessary knowledge.

Give me something else please. Change your bottom bracket? Sure, can do it with my eyes closed.

chopsticks.jpg

Am equally happy installing and adjusting mudguards, which can be maddeningly delightfully fiddly, or shortening a chain, or lots of other things which mean I rarely visit the surgery. But a spoke key might as well be a bottle opener for the use it would get.

It feels good to get that off my chest. Anybody want to go next?

Drago

Legendary Member
There ain't nothing I can't do to a bike, though I must admit to being far too modest for my own good.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
C'mon Sam, you have to have a go at bar wrapping. It's not that hard and when you do a good job it's a very satisfying one.

I also can't build wheels, But to be honest I have never tried.
I also can't trackstand. Never did learn the art. But to be honest, I can't really see the point of it anyway.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm not really across the concept of gear inches. Don't explain them here - I won't read your post if you do.

Ohh Ohh good one... just watch as my eyeballs rolls into the back of head when ever someone starts spouting gear inches..

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can't true or build wheels, do tricks like wheelies, track stands or bunny hops, ride no handed for more than a few seconds.

@theclaud gear inches are an Edwardian concept. It is calculated as the product of a gentleman's tweed Knickerbocker inside leg and deerstalker hat size, divided by watch chain length. For ladies is is bustle size plus number of whalebones in corset divided by number of ribbons on bonnet.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have chickened out of fitting new forks for my son's MTB what with the star nut and crown race fitting, and asked my friendly local bike mechanic to do it for me.

Top Bottom