Shameful admissions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm pretty standard I think:
trackstand - no.
gear inches - pah, pass me the matchsticks for my eyes.
spokes are a dark art, never tried wheel building or proper truing.
my bar tape takes a while and a couple of time a whole new roll to get right and I finish more with a sense of relief at not having cocked it up than satisfaction at a job well done ;)
two tyre levers to get a tyre off - you're having a laugh right?
I can do but don't like setting up derailleurs from scratch.
there was my recent incident of paying an Evans employee to fit my new mudguards.
I wear a Sam Browne belt.

Tim Hall

I can't true or build wheels, do tricks like wheelies, track stands or bunny hops, ride no handed for more than a few seconds.

@theclaud gear inches are an Edwardian concept. It is calculated as the product of a gentleman's tweed Knickerbocker inside leg and deerstalker hat size, divided by watch chain length. For ladies is is bustle size plus number of whalebones in corset divided by number of ribbons on bonnet
Rational dress FTW! (I did a little talk outside the Hautboy Hotel a few weeks ago, where, as you know Lady Harberton got turfed out of the lounge for wearing Rational Dress. One of the aims of the Rational Dress movement was, allegedly, to bring the weight of underwear DOWN to seven pounds.)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
@theclaud gear inches are an Edwardian concept. It is calculated as the product of a gentleman's tweed Knickerbocker inside leg and deerstalker hat size, divided by watch chain length. For ladies is is bustle size plus number of whalebones in corset divided by number of ribbons on bonnet.

I'm sorry, but I can't Like this post as I determined not to read it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I once cut a cable outer to length...
...with the inner still inside.
I have never even once fitted a full set of cables to a bike without cutting one of the outers outer too bloody short.

Measure twice, cut once? I measure once, twice, thrice and then once, twice. thrice all over again and it still happens.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I did my bar tape a couple of months back, read the instructions lots, watched a video a few times, checked, checked again, very very carefully wrapped the one side looks great, went through the routine again, wrapped the other side, looks great ^_^
If only the two sides matched :blush:
I was going to mention it here when I did it but have only now plucked up the courage thanks to this thread. Thank you for not judging me.

BTW, I aint changing it til it needs doing again!

My confession is that I like wearing white socks and shoes when cycling.

Only in summer though, and I justify it as a safety measure!

winjim

Smash the cistern
I didn't clean my snow tyres after winter and now the studs have gone rusty. I noticed this on midsummer's day.

jhawk

Veteran
I recall my touring bike's first p*ncture. I was riding out of town with a group of five cross-country cyclists that I had met the day before, got about two minutes past my house when BAM - p*ncture. I thought I was screwed, I hadn't fixed a p*ncture on that bike before, and when I had fixed a p*ncture, it'd usually been at home and with help.

But, they were very patient and even gave me one of their spare tubes, because the spare tube I thought I had, wasn't the right type of valve. So, I learned how to fix one on-the-road, the key thing I found, was not to panic. Now, I'm still for whatever reason dreading a p*ncture, but I'm slowly learning to trust the equipment.

Beyond that, I can now strip out a dynamo hub, tighten my brake cables, mount any hardware (bike computer, light, etc). I can't fix or replace broken spokes, or do any gear/cassette maintenance... That's next!

Top Bottom