Sharwoods frozen "ready meals"....anyone eat them ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Out of interest this. With MrsD hardly eating (complan and Fortisip etc) i buy the odd ready meal for myself.
For curry I normally buy from Aldi @ £2.20. Yesterday, in the Spar, I noticed Sharwoods curry @ £1.75 so gave it at try..... I was not impressed. 45p cheaper but no comparison.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Most appear to be full of salt and preservatives, though I do occasionally have some as a quick lunch before work. They do benefit from adding a bit of curry powder, or similar, to spice them up a bit.
Pricewise, I get them from work & 10 bob each, so it's a cheap enough meal.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can't help with Sharwoods in particular, but in general, I find frozen ready "meals" xx(, both in quality and quantity. I've tried a few from Farmfoods, Tesco, Morrisons etc. and they never fail to disappoint. Fish pie with a sliver of fish hidden amongst watery sauce and chemical mashed potato?
In fact, extend that to chilled ready meals too. Even M&S food has decreased in quality over the years, while recently the prices have just got stupid. Last time I was in our "local" M&S food shop (20 miles away), it was as quiet as I've ever seen it. I get the feeling that particular bubble might be about to burst, in the less affluent areas of the UK..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Whilst I occasionally disappoint myself with a shop bought ready meal, most of my ready meals are just tubbed up portions of meals I've made myself. I live alone but tend to make a huge pan of chilli, a gigantic veg stew or a casserole fit for six or eight people and freeze single portions in those plastic tubs one accumulates from the takeaway. If they underwhelm then I've only got myself to blame :okay:

keithmac

Guru
Just the standard ones for work, add a couple off cap fulls of chilli seeds to pep it up a bit.

Their Goan Vindaloo sauce jars are nice as well, make a good chicken curry at home with that as a base.

Might have to try a Specially Selected one now!.

4088600068657_0.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Their Goan Vindaloo sauce jars are nice as well, make a good chicken curry at home with that as a base.
I think that’s a better solution than frozen ‘ready meals’. Just add some to cooked meat or whatever, probably quicker too, certainly more energy efficient. Add some boil in the bag rice and you’re away.

keithmac

Guru
Only gripe is they add cardamom
I think that’s a better solution than frozen ‘ready meals’. Just add some to cooked meat or whatever, probably quicker too. Add some boil in the bag rice and you’re away.

Yeh it's fine at home but the convenience of just sticking it in the microwave at work is a big bonus.

I suppose for the OP just cooking for one it's a lot easier.

keithmac

Guru
Thats the one I go for. Jafrezi is about the hottest I can handle.

I've never had a bad one, plenty of chicken in them, only gripe is they started putting Cardomom pods in, have to fish them out before eating or it's a nasty surprise :laugh:.

I've took all sorts of microwave meals to work and to be honest they are the only one worth eating imho.

Saying that Tesco do a reasonable Chow Mein, that wasn't too bad.

presta

Guru
I don't eat ready meals, both because they're expensive, and because microwaves don't evenly heat anything that can't be stirred. About 70% of my dinners are homemade, but if I'm eating something processed it'll tend to be veggie burgers, pasty, sausages etc, with potato & veg.

Whilst I occasionally disappoint myself with a shop bought ready meal, most of my ready meals are just tubbed up portions of meals I've made myself. I live alone but tend to make a huge pan of chilli, a gigantic veg stew or a casserole fit for six or eight people and freeze single portions in those plastic tubs one accumulates from the takeaway. If they underwhelm then I've only got myself to blame :okay:
I batch cook (stew, chilli con carne, spag bol, curry, etc), but I don't do more than 3 portions at a time otherwise there's not room in the freezer for a variety of different meals.

Top Bottom