She just doesn't know when to stop....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
A few years ago, this kind of thing was called 'banter'...modestly insulting, over a canteen table where most people laughed and guffawed, including the 'victim'...whoever happened to be on the end of it.
German, Scottish, Welsh, English, we all gave it..and got it where i worked...and NO-ONE ever got offended. It became a point of honour to keep in front, to get one in.
Apparently, now its a hate crime . Lord help us :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
I think you will find that "the ancient English pastime" is now called racism. Not that I particularly agree with all the namby pamby PC nonsense; as a proud Scot I couldn't give a friar tuck what the English think of us. We know we are superior, and that's all that matters :thumbsup:.

Thing is though, if that English airhead had made similar comments about people of certain other, more sensitive races, the sh!t would really have hit the fan! Just as well that us Scots have a sense of humour or we would have been marching towards the border right now to sort you nobbers out. Again.
And thats exactly the kind of banter I used to love....:laugh:?..it is banter innit ? :blink:^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
I dont read papers or tweet or facebook bar imideate 'sorry fook knows how you spell imediatet" family.
I have to come in here to see this ?..DONT FEED THE TROLL...

gbb

Legendary Member
I actually find the racism of some the Scottish towards the English completely disgusting but nothing is ever done about it.
But couldnt you concede, you are just responding In a way that feeds the whole 'supposed' hatred between 'us'...which BTW I have never encountered personally, despite years of banter between colleagues from all over the UK.
Laugh fer chrissakes...no one died. Lifes short and precious to be worrying about a bit of abstract humour/insults/supposed hatred.
People get their knickers in a twist too quickly IMO.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It really sticks in my Scottish throat to say it, but one of the best New Years Eves I have had in recent times was in bl00dy Ingerlund! :ohmy:
I was seeing an English rose at the time (awwwww :wub:), and she lived in Yorkshire.
We went to the local pub which stayed open well after midnight. At midnight everyone went outside and joined with people from about 3 other pubs, dancing in the street, eating and drinking. Just a great atmosphere.
Compare that to the numerous Scottish NYE's I spent as a member of Strathclydes finest on night shift...... mopping up after numerous serious assaults, domestics, etc.. Even the Glasgow street party, which was always good natured until about 4am, seemed to turn into a " let's fight the polis coz it's their fault we cannae get a taxi" session. :sad:

Brandane

Legendary Member
It really sticks in my Scottish throat to say it, but one of the best New Years Eves I have had in recent times was in bl00dy Ingerlund! :ohmy:
I was seeing an English rose at the time (awwwww :wub:), and she lived in Yorkshire.
We went to the local pub which stayed open well after midnight. At midnight everyone went outside and joined with people from about 3 other pubs, dancing in the street, eating and drinking. Just a great atmosphere.
Compare that to the numerous Scottish NYE's I spent as a member of Strathclydes finest on night shift...... mopping up after numerous serious assaults, domestics, etc.. Even the Glasgow street party, which was always good natured until about 4am, seemed to turn into a " let's fight the polis coz it's their fault we cannae get a taxi" session. :sad:
Oops, I seem to have cross-threaded! The rum is taking effect :laugh:.

cd365

Guru
But couldnt you concede, you are just responding In a way that feeds the whole 'supposed' hatred between 'us'...which BTW I have never encountered personally, despite years of banter between colleagues from all over the UK.
Laugh fer chrissakes...no one died. Lifes short and precious to be worrying about a bit of abstract humour/insults/supposed hatred.
People get their knickers in a twist too quickly IMO.
What hatred between 'us'? I don't see a Scottish person being assaulted for being in England but I'm aware of English people being assaulted in Scotland for being English. I know it is the looney few who do it.
It is the 21st century and there seems to be a petty hatred towards the English that appears to me to be getting worse.

I'm not English before anyone asks.

gbb

Legendary Member
What hatred between 'us'? I don't see a Scottish person being assaulted for being in England but I'm aware of English people being assaulted in Scotland for being English. I know it is the looney few who do it.
It is the 21st century and there seems to be a petty hatred towards the English that appears to me to be getting worse.

I'm not English before anyone asks.
TBF, our experiences shape our opinions, and actually I do remember one story related to me of a guy working temporarily in Scotland who faced verbal abuse with the fear of violence. But that was just one I've heard of. No doubt there are a few loonies either side of the border.
Ironically, I think (apart from the old rivalry on the football and rugby fields), the English in general genuinely like the Scots.

Top Bottom