Shed Rescue Bike rides again...........!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
Inspired (somewhat) by Tom Allen building a 'round the world bike' for £27.50..........I have just finished building my very own (ahem) bicycle up from a scrappy old skip-ready frame using just el-desperado cheap interwebz discount parts and the contents of my 'bits-box'.

The resulting franken-bike is now here in all its wondrousness........(YMMV!):whistle:

89ab00ad-72a8-4679-bb52-390c6e1e29dc_zpsee36c91c.jpg

I hauled this once proud but bottom-dollar 'Dawes' ATB (?) from the back of a damp shed where it had lain rotting for 10+ years with a View to making it a winter 'learn-as-you-go' project and bring it back to life.

RecoveredAutosave2_zpse2a284d7.jpg

The frame was ok....a bit scuzzy...but the wheels had rotted away-spokes rusted and fallen out- all the exposed alloy parts where crusty white-cheesy gripshift 7speed/tourney/screw-on gearing and cabling rusted solid-saddle mouldy-and tyres turned to mush............you get the picture? (I wish now that I'd taken some when it was so forlorn, but couldn't bring myself to do it!)

I decided to see if I could re-invent it without spending silly money (ie...more than 100 smackers) and learn a bit of cycly repairmanship on the way.

shedbike1_zps40ff3122.jpg

In the event, I have spent just about £120 on new bits trawled from interwebz discount offers and added a few components from my trusty box of bits.
As a project it has turned out to be a great way to discover how bikes fit together. The only part I baulked at was replacing the chainset and BB. These are still the originals and are the only bits that aren't really 100%. (The chain rings are ghastly cheap/warped and can't help but rub in highest gear no matter how carefully I tweak the front mech.)

It is now all 8spd...new wheels/tyres....derailleurs,cables and shifters....stem.....bars...chain....cassette.....saddle and new brakes.
...........and I'm annoyingly rather proud to have (sort-of) made it myself from scratch.

I especially like the new monster-discount Tektro mt15 brake calipers (£4.99 a pair from the nice people at Planet_X!).....which are way nicer than the usual OEM v's that come with cheaper bikes -

DSCF2600_hf_zps791425f5.jpg

It weighs a little over 12kg which is not too shabby compared to my monster FS mtb and spindly road-bike.

It has proven itself to make a great winter hack for these gahstly days and my hope is (with the addition of a rear rack/panniers) that it may cope with a bit of fair-weather distance touring?

Let me know what you think and/or whether I may be over ambitious for it? Criticism gladly accepted!

PS...It was Great Fun spannering it and I learned a lot by doing it all.

Best all

w

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks good

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Looks great, good job!
Full length mudguards would look better imo, but I realize they are about £ 20/25
Why are they so expensive for what they are anyway? :wacko:

Herbie

Veteran
Inspired (somewhat) by Tom Allen building a 'round the world bike' for £27.50..........I have just finished building my very own (ahem) bicycle up from a scrappy old skip-ready frame using just el-desperado cheap interwebz discount parts and the contents of my 'bits-box'.

The resulting franken-bike is now here in all its wondrousness........(YMMV!):whistle:

89ab00ad-72a8-4679-bb52-390c6e1e29dc_zpsee36c91c.jpg

I hauled this once proud but bottom-dollar 'Dawes' ATB (?) from the back of a damp shed where it had lain rotting for 10+ years with a View to making it a winter 'learn-as-you-go' project and bring it back to life.

RecoveredAutosave2_zpse2a284d7.jpg

The frame was ok....a bit scuzzy...but the wheels had rotted away-spokes rusted and fallen out- all the exposed alloy parts where crusty white-cheesy gripshift 7speed/tourney/screw-on gearing and cabling rusted solid-saddle mouldy-and tyres turned to mush............you get the picture? (I wish now that I'd taken some when it was so forlorn, but couldn't bring myself to do it!)

I decided to see if I could re-invent it without spending silly money (ie...more than 100 smackers) and learn a bit of cycly repairmanship on the way.

shedbike1_zps40ff3122.jpg

In the event, I have spent just about £120 on new bits trawled from interwebz discount offers and added a few components from my trusty box of bits.
As a project it has turned out to be a great way to discover how bikes fit together. The only part I baulked at was replacing the chainset and BB. These are still the originals and are the only bits that aren't really 100%. (The chain rings are ghastly cheap/warped and can't help but rub in highest gear no matter how carefully I tweak the front mech.)

It is now all 8spd...new wheels/tyres....derailleurs,cables and shifters....stem.....bars...chain....cassette.....saddle and new brakes.
...........and I'm annoyingly rather proud to have (sort-of) made it myself from scratch.

I especially like the new monster-discount Tektro mt15 brake calipers (£4.99 a pair from the nice people at Planet_X!).....which are way nicer than the usual OEM v's that come with cheaper bikes -

DSCF2600_hf_zps791425f5.jpg

It weighs a little over 12kg which is not too shabby compared to my monster FS mtb and spindly road-bike.

It has proven itself to make a great winter hack for these gahstly days and my hope is (with the addition of a rear rack/panniers) that it may cope with a bit of fair-weather distance touring?

Let me know what you think and/or whether I may be over ambitious for it? Criticism gladly accepted!

PS...It was Great Fun spannering it and I learned a lot by doing it all.

Best all

w

great job and well done :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Widge

Widge

Baldy Go
.....thanks for looking chaps and chap-esses! Comments much appreciated.

Be it ever-so-humble, it has earned it's keep as a winter bike and kept me (sometimes) on the road this winter in conditions that really put the wind up me on a skinny tyre road bike. I chose to fit Schwalbe City Jet tyres and they have coped so far admirably on my local storm-riven and cr@p-strewn lanes.

I realise that, like Tom Allen, I could have rebuilt it even cheaper if |I'd scouted around for cast-off and deeply used 2nd hand parts...but it is amazing what you can find for new...cheap...if you scour the web for offers and are more than happy to stick to tried and tested 8spd componentry. The 'Altus' trigger shifters where just £18.00 a pair (inc. cables) and shift willingly and effortlessly. when you consider that the road bike equivalent shifters (2300 or latterly 'Claris') cost in excess of £100 it seems like a worthwhile deal.

Whether the bike makes the grade as a a Tourer or 'Trekking' bike later in the year remains to be seen-but I live in hope. Watch this space. Certainly...I may have to upgrade the chainset...but apart from the highest (and little used in my case) two gear combinations, it works perfectly serviceably at the moment.

And I can't stress how satisfying it is to sppanner your own bike (when it goes right!!)

Thanks again.

w

Last edited:

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Great thread, am about to give some TLC to a bike which as lived in the garage for a couple of years (at least). I picked it up yesterday so will do some before and after pics.

I won't be doing a knowledgeable makeover though - as am just starting out, it'll be with the help of hubby and minimum expense. Though I will look at mud guards in the future I think.

compo

Veteran

Did you change/fettle the headset? If so I think that is much more complicated than the BB. Once you have the tools you need, ie, crank extractor and BB tool, it is a doddle compared to the headset.

Top Bottom