Shed Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sazzaa

Looking for any suggestions on best way to keep my shed as secure as it can be. What do other people do when they have a few bikes stored away? Does anyone use alarms or motion sensors? Have already got padlock ontop of normal shed door lock, anchor point and heavy chain.

lee1980sim

anchor points (if you can concreted into the ground under the shed), alarm, and padlocked door, try not to make it too obvious that you've beefed up the security though

MarkF

Guru
I use one of these.
I like it.

You can't secure a wooden shed, I had the door of mine prised open, the windows smashed and when I secured the door & windows, a circular was used to cut a hole in the side.............then the rear, they were very neat holes, I'll give them that. Daft thing is, I only use the shed to keep a big car roof box in!

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Would love a metal shed but it's a bit over budget! Have looked at getting a metal bike storage box for work though...

Saw some alarms in B&Q but they were really cheap, anyone tried one? Worth getting?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
An alarm is only good if someone who hears it does something.

I have 2 bolts on the door, carriage bolted to the thickest part. 2 ground anchors screewed into the shed with a chain padlocked through the frames between the two. I then use my D-locks to lock the wheels together. Anyone getting into the shed would have to cut a chain and at least one D-lock. Anything else would probably be over the top. :boxing:

BRounsley

Über Member
Both of my bikes where stolen two months ago for what I though was a secure setup. Since then I done a lot of research and now have spent a lot of time and money improving my setup.

My original setup was padlocked ‘Trimetals Cycle Store’ with a mid-priced ground anchor and lock (sliver standard). Behind a 6 foot fence down the side of the house. This setup was attacked twice. Originally when the bikes were stolen then 2 weeks later (the thief came back looking for the replacement bikes, very common). The first attach the managed to unbolt the ‘Trimetals Cycle Store’ while locked (easy when you know how I tried it myself after bolting it back together) the second time they just cropped the locks. Any padlock under £40 can be cropped in seconds with a cheap bolt croppers.
I personally would never leave a bike in a ‘Trimetals Cycle Store’ again (I now store garden tools in it) but you can improve its security (which I have done). Replace the nuts with ‘Shear Nuts’ (size M5) so you can’t just unbolt the shed. You can also lock the Trimtales using ‘Oxford HD Bike Cycle Mini Shackle Disc Lock - 10mm x 10mm’ (it’s like a mini D lock).

I now use an ‘Asgard Bike Store’ it appears to be a better design than the ‘Trimetals’ but this has never been tested. It’s also installed in the back garden under our bedroom windows and fitted with a £5 shed alarm. The bike is locked inside the Asgard with an ‘Abus WBA100 Ground Anchor’ and locked with an ‘Almax Series IV Uber + Squire SS65CS Lock’ chain. The Almax chain is a thing of brutal beauty and designed for locking up motorcycles. The Almax website’s ‘wall of shame’ is worth a look they have video of them cropping most high end cycle locks in seconds (Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit and Abus Granite City Black X-Plus both in less than a minute).

I’ve also done additional steps of improving my security lights and installing CCTV.

All the above may seem extreme and it was a large sum of money. I’ve come to the conclusion that nothing is 100% secure but your either spend hundreds on security or buy a £5 cable lock. The £5 lock will stop an opportunist walking off with you bike any lock sub £150 can be beaten in seconds with something as cheap as £10 hacksaw.

So to answer the question the only thing the shed will do is keep your bike dry.

If this wasn’t depressing enough watch this video.
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/266500

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Yeah this is all quite depressing really!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
upload_2013-10-17_13-57-56.png

This is my shed - concrete in three sides - roof and decking on top, 5 bolt locking system on the door. Bikes inside are chained together and anchored to the floor and the door is also alarmed with a remote sensor.

Secure

theFire

Veteran
I fitted 2 Sheffield stands in my shed (concreted in)

geru2u3e.jpg

rasyqunu.jpg

Also bought a really cheap motion sensor alarm. Came with a fob to enable/disable. That's more there to make any theirs panic and run off. As all you'd need to do is pull the batteries out to stop it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was in a similar position when i moved house, the shed on the property was a standard shiplap shed with a big window so i ordered one of these...
http://www.rowgar.co.uk/security-shed-7x5.aspx
Its not an ideal solution but it comes with security screws as standard and no window you can climb through, i installed extra brackets inside so panels /roof cannot be easily torn off along with security screwed wall anchors using motorbike chains, an extra lock on the door and a shed alarm.
Positioning is also key as my next door neighbour is always in and the neighbours behind us work with my wife and you cant see the shed from the road.Strava privacy is turned on so tea leafs cant look at your profile and find your house.
Bikes security marked with frame stickers
In the future i intend to install chicken wire or internal boarding to create another layer if the shed does get broken into and looking at ground anchors or a bucket filled with concrete with a d lock stuck in it to create a heavy locking point.Chicken wire seems a good bet as i read that if they cut into your shed then the wire will need snipping at each bit to get into it.

sidevalve

Über Member
As I said on an earlier thread try E bay for the remote type of shed alarm. It sits in the shed and sounds an alarm in the house if someone breaks in. Cost about £30 - 35. Works up to 50 feet distance. No good if no ones home of course but good at night. Problem with chains anchors inside a shed is that once inside they have a nice private quiet place to work with no chance of being seen - still worth doing though.

Top Bottom