Shed Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
View attachment 30938

This is my shed - concrete in three sides - roof and decking on top, 5 bolt locking system on the door. Bikes inside are chained together and anchored to the floor and the door is also alarmed with a remote sensor.

Secure
The 5 bolt door is secured by one item and that's the euro cylinder, be sure you have a anti snap cylinder fitted, as euro cylinders have a weekpoint halfway along (where the cam spins) and can be snapped with such simple tools as molegrips, especially if the cylinder sticks out past the handle more than 1mm.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The 5 bolt door is secured by one item and that's the euro cylinder, be sure you have a anti snap cylinder fitted, as euro cylinders have a weekpoint halfway along (where the cam spins) and can be snapped with such simple tools as molegrips, especially if the cylinder sticks out past the handle more than 1mm.
It doesnt and is very secure. Trust me

winjim

Smash the cistern
My shed is secure enough that if my bike were to be nicked, it'd be covered by my insurance.

Kies

Take pictures of your bikes in shed and locked up. Close ups of the locks and any fixing points they go through/round.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Would love a metal shed but it's a bit over budget! Have looked at getting a metal bike storage box for work though...

Saw some alarms in B&Q but they were really cheap, anyone tried one? Worth getting?

Cheap shed alarms aren't worth it, they're useless. Too quiet, battery operated, unreliable. Had some garden equipment nicked from a garden shed with one in.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
When I had a quad bike I used a ground anchor, I can't see anyone being able to defeat those easily, and you can fit a mega heavyweight chain on too. My garage now is alarmed with a proper mains system with motion and mag door sensors. Mainly to protect garden equipment rather than the bikes to be honest, lots of agricultural thieves in this area stealing strimmers, mowers and so on.

Dave W

I've had a lot of recent experience with this so will share my multitude of tips.

Firstly, insurance. Make sure that your bikes are listed on the house insurance and what the cover requirements are. My insurer insists on a ground anchor or fixed to something solid. Nothing is 100% secure, that's what insurance is for.

My shed has been attacked 3 times in the last 2 months. I have no choice but to leave the bikes in there or I'd have to sleep with them. While I'm happy to do this, my wife is not.

Security is like an onion, it must have layers. The first layer is your fence, make sure the panels can't be lifted as this is how the thief got in the first time. Also make sure that there isn't anything to assist the thief in hopping over your fence, wheelie bins are perfect for this and how the thief got in the third time after I'd secure the fence panels.

Next layer is the shed. Hinges can be removed with a screwdriver silently unless you bolt the hinges or use security screws. Cheap padlocks are a deterrent only but always remember if it's a wooden shed, there's no point putting a bullet proof lock on the door. I now have 2 hasps and staples with a padlock each after the flimsy rubbish one was cropped off the first time.

Secure the roof properly. Most shed roofs are only nailed on and gravity does the rest. The second time the roof was simply crowbarred up.

Next is a shed alarm, one is no good you need at least 2. A door sensor which prevented the theft the first time and a separate PIR which prevented any theft the second and third time. The third time the door was simply ripped off below the location of the sensor.

Then on to the third layer, the bikes themselves. I have at least 4 bikes in the shed and each one is attached to another via at least one lock and the most expensive is then attached to the ground anchor with a 10mm chain and the best D locks I have to other bikes. To take any one bike a thief would need to silence both alarms after breaking in and then cut a minimum of 2 D locks and a cable lock.

In addition to this I have invested £300 in a CCTV system. This will not prevent anyone stealing my bikes but acts as another layer and will at least give the police something to go on should it happen again. I can also view this remotely.

Naturally I also have a privacy zone enabled on Strava.

I'm hoping that after 3 attempts and the thief not even managing to get in to the shed yet, he's now gone for easier pickings because ultimately people steal things because they are lazy bastards and if my neighbour's shed is easier to burgle than mine I'm on to a winner.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Well I don't have a fence but on the plus side my shed is quite out in the open and visible from two streets. These are just scummy teenagers I'm dealing with so I'm thinking they probably don't have the tools to deal with two different door locks, a heavy chain, a d-lock and a cable. I think my most important thing might be a bright security light, what with my shed being in a visible area. Thanks for all tips, I've been reading up on security all day now and have learned loads!

Top Bottom