Sheered Crank bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotAnother Cyclist

What do others think of this?

Attachments

• DSC_0945.JPG
    DSC_0945.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC_0946.JPG
    DSC_0946.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC_0947.JPG
    DSC_0947.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 926

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That isn't the bolt that has sheered, that needs a new bottom bracket assembly if you can get the broken bit out of the crankarm.

OP
OP
N

NotAnother Cyclist

The bottom bracket shaft snapped. :eek:
Left pedal snapped off (as you can see!), right foot went to apply power, and with no resistance my foot went straight into the road.

mitchibob

Über Member
Bottom bracket on my brompton didn't last much more than 6 months, but then I replaced once I realised it was going.

Did you have any warning signs? Knocking or something?

Get well soon. Just started physio after an accident myself, although this was going into the side of a car that pulled out on my while I was doing 20mph. Brompton doesn't look too bad, but doesn't fold like it did, and haven't recovered enough yet to give it a proper look. Only came out of cast and splint on Friday, one splint left, and can't do heavy lifting for a few weeks yet.

OP
OP
N

NotAnother Cyclist

Bottom bracket on my brompton didn't last much more than 6 months, but then I replaced once I realised it was going.

Did you have any warning signs? Knocking or something?

Get well soon. Just started physio after an accident myself, although this was going into the side of a car that pulled out on my while I was doing 20mph. Brompton doesn't look too bad, but doesn't fold like it did, and haven't recovered enough yet to give it a proper look. Only came out of cast and splint on Friday, one splint left, and can't do heavy lifting for a few weeks yet.
Ouch. Poor you too!

I had no warning signs - nothing that springs to mind. The only dodgy noise I did have was solved by a new chain and rear sprockets.

Did the car driver not see you, or just didn't realise how fast you were going? I've had people begin to pull out on me before, only to come to a halt when they thought better of it!

doginabag

Seems to be a not too uncommon problem. I have seen a few crank arms go and pedals. In fact I had a pedal shear on me about a year ago on a Tern bike. These kind of failures tend not to give any warning as they start as a very small defect in the casting which initiates a crack and grows slowly over time, and it's almost always when you are pulling away which is when the most amount of force is applied to the component that it fails.

More luck than anything else that it doesn't result in a serious accident. When it happened to me I was pulling away from a set of lights with a bus behind me and onlt because of the drivers quick reactions did I not end up under it. Sound like you weren't so luck, hope you recover soon!

Top Bottom