She's Taking A Liberty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
She'll be want some of my single malt with coke next!
Won't that make it stick to the sides of the £20 note ?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Can I just ask why she's leaving it so late to add cognac to the cake? It should have been done weeks ago.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
A whisky mac. One of my favourite drinks. My Nan made me one when I was about 16 and I never looked back. Naughty Nan.
My dad would get me out of bed to watch TV late at night at Christmas if my mum was working a night shift (she's a nurse) and give me whisky macs. I think I developed a taste for them.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Can I just ask why she's leaving it so late to add cognac to the cake? It should have been done weeks ago.
She ran out of time what with moving house and everything so she bought one and was decorating it tonight. Maybe if she'd actually made it weeks ago I'd have let her have a little cognac, maybe not.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Got wretchedly drunk on a bottle of scotch (don't ask me which one) with a mate to celebrate leaving school in 1976.

Nearly 40 years later, still can't touch the stuff without feeling sick! xx(
Hmm that reminds me of one of the times I was in trouble at school ... Teachers were striking but our year was one of the few that didn't get the day off. So we headed off to the high street and bought a bottle of whiskey which we consumed, we were caught because one of the group decided to decorate the school loos in a spectacular fashion and then fall asleep in the middle of it! I just remember getting a scolding:whistle:, though I'm not sure that my parents were informed.

Andy_R

Hmm that reminds me of one of the times I was in trouble at school ... Teachers were striking but our year was one of the few that didn't get the day off. So we headed off to the high street and bought a bottle of whiskey which we consumed, we were caught because one of the group decided to decorate the school loos in a spectacular fashion and then fall asleep in the middle of it! I just remember getting a scolding:whistle:, though I'm not sure that my parents were informed.
Is this 1980's education where most teachers had "liquid" lunches? I had a chemistry teacher who tried to demonstrate a reaction between hydrogen peroxide and blood. Nothing happened. He then went on to say, famously, "Of course, this reaction fails in the prescence of alcohol"

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is this 1980's education where most teachers had "liquid" lunches? I had a chemistry teacher who tried to demonstrate a reaction between hydrogen peroxide and blood. Nothing happened. He then went on to say, famously, "Of course, this reaction fails in the prescence of alcohol"
Definitely the 80's, and I had a chemistry teacher as a form tutor one year, he was fun and silly, and used to to spot checks to try to catch the boys who smoked who seemed to know the routine too and would stuff them down the front of their trousers.

Andy_R

Definitely the 80's, and I had a chemistry teacher as a form tutor one year, he was fun and silly, and used to to spot checks to try to catch the boys who smoked who seemed to know the routine too and would stuff them down the front of their trousers.
I used to undo the bar end plugs of my bike and have 2 or 3 cig's with matches hidden in the drops each day. Glad I gave it up.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you thought teachers drank at lunchtime in the 80s it was nothing to what they did in the 60s-70s when I was at school, half of them were pie-eyed after lunch and the PE teachers had mostly been shagging in the showers of the gym/swimming pool.
For me watching the 'Grimleys' on TV was like a documentary.......................I didn't even go to a 'rough' school either.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Never been able to get used to the raw taste of any whisky or brandy, I keep trying now and again for research purposes... but OK as flavouring when they are part of the ingredients for sauces or cakes/puds.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Quite right too! A really good single malt is very drinkable without adding anything, and that includes ice. Cheap scotch can be very nice with coke or ginger beer. I'm drinking Grouse with ginger wine tonight. :smile:

The best accompaniment to whisk(e)y *not just scotch* is a drop of water as it releases the esters and enhances the flavour as the distiller intended. You will see almost a petrol on wet road sheen as the water goes in, this is a good thing. To be totally pedantic it should be water from the same source as the whisk(e)y.

However at the prices people pay for it, you can put in whatever you wish to preferred taste. I tend to be a neat or drop of water man, if I want it colder I put it in the fridge for a bit rather than add ice & by default far too much water.

Top Bottom