Shift Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Who else on the forum works rotating shift patterns? This week I am on the dreaded night shift until Tuesday morning. Off Wednesday and then back on late shift from Thursday.

Those of you who also work shift patterns then what tactic do you use to try and get your body clock back into some semblance of normality after finishing nights. It seems to be taking me longer to adjust than it used to :blush:

col

Legendary Member
Im on some funny shifts myself,i can finish at 1230 at night,and be out at 9 in the morning,then up at 4 in the morning finishing at 4 in the afternoon,my shifts dont allow a pattern to get into,sorry not much help to you,but ill be watching with interest,in case something can help me too,always tired.

I used to do funny shifts. We had plenty of time off though (after a block of three 12 hour night shifts we got eight days off, then did three 12 hour day shifts followed by three days off, then four nights, seven days off followed by four days and three days off, then back to the start again). I was younger then (mid 20s) and just used to stay up as long as I could on my first day off after night shifts finished, so I could sleep normally that night. Now I'd probably struggle to cope with it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't know how you lot do shifts - I'm a 9-5 type person...really knocks the body clock.

It's easier if you are young, but my dad was doing shifts until his early 60's - blooming hard at that age - has a nice retirement now, does a bit of work for a mate, then pleases himself......

I've just about managed the young kid stuff, but in the swing of that now....the neighbours think you've lost it washing cars at 9.00am on a Saturday or Sunday...explain you've been up for 2-3 hours.....or turn up back home at 10.00am from a ride !!!!

bonj2

It shouldn't matter as long as you've got good thick curtains that meet in the middle. I've always worked 9-5 for the last 7 years or so, and I've always thought working night shift might be quite a novelty. Cycling TO work at night and back at dawn sounds quite interesting, do you cycle when you're on nights yorkshiregoth, and what times?

Adjust by sleeping less, as opposed to more. You can't just sleep at the drop of a hat, but if you stay up just relaxing and watching telly and posting on here until X+2 hours before you have to get up next, where X is the amount of hours sleep you normally have. That way, you'll be ready for your sleep, but you'll have had two hours extra so you shouldn't be too tired.

col

Legendary Member
It can get worrying cant it.when you get up at 330 in the morning and are still on the road at 3 in the afternoon,your eyes feel like lead sometimes,but like you say,its legal,so they dont worry about it.

bonj said:
... I've always thought working night shift might be quite a novelty. Cycling TO work at night and back at dawn sounds quite interesting ...

That's the best bit about working funny hours. Cycling back through the North Shropshire lanes at 4am, or even riding through Handsworth Wood in Birmingham at 3am, or riding to work just as the nightclubs are kicking out ... it's all great.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well 9-5 isn't always what it is really..... and as has been said, a good shift rota is really good, plenty of spare time, that is 'usable' - i.e. good daylight/time to see the kids....

My last job (9-5 ish), although I liked the folks I worked with, was very stressful, but sometimes meant I did a fair amount of traveling.. my work is desk based, not on the road...so still meant a full week at the desk - driving 4 hours across mid Wales A/B roads to work for an 8 hour day, then back for 4 hours drive wasn't a laugh....that was a 'hiss take' and my wife went nuts when I turned up back at home, having left some 18 hours earlier.....

A 9-5 job isn't always it's made up to be, as you are often 'expected' to work extra - so if in early.... doesn't mean you should leave any earlier than the folk that roll in an hour later.... no one praises an early starter..

I moved jobs recently, took a big pay drop, but it enabled me to commute to work on the bike - I work 37 hours a week, get very good holidays and they are really accommodating of those folk that have kids..., and I get to see the kids a lot more - i.e. no more "oh here is dad for the weekend".... (like many- out at work before the kids were up, home as going to bed....)

A lot depends upon your employer as to their attitude - many push their folk to the limits, doesn't matter what ever you do - it's just not right. I'm an awkward git if pushed too far....

simonali

Guru
I work shifts and have adopted the policy of just having a nap whenever I feel tired (not at work obviously!).

col

Legendary Member
simonali said:
I work shifts and have adopted the policy of just having a nap whenever I feel tired (not at work obviously!).

Tried this,but it sometimes doesnt go down too well with my family:smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've worked shifts all my working life so far, 34 years. They were not fixed shifts either. ie. One week I would be on early turn, say starting at 0430, may have friday and sat. off. Sunday could be a late turn 1500 and then mon to thurs 1615. Then a week of earlies and so on with a week of nights chucked in for good measure.
On the railways we have 24 hour booking on on a rolling roster so at times it can be a bit strange going from nights to lates or earlies. But we do normally get a few days off between shift changes to re-adjust from nights. Mind you, I couldn't do a 9-5 job.

lazyfatgit

i worked constant nights for almost 4 yrs, 13 hr shifts, mostly wed-fri, sometimes sun-tues. i found getting to bed after the last shift for no more than 4 hrs, then getting to bed at a normal time was OK. a full nights sleep on a tuesday with maybe a longer lie in made things most tolerable. Blackout bilnds in mid summer also helped. It is easier to "bank" sleep than it is to "catch up".

got-to-get-fit

I work shifts

I do 4 on and 4 off 12hr shifts then get 18days off every 2nd month

I must admit ive been doing it now for 16 yrs and it does not get any easier.

Spring and summer are nice cos i cycle to work 12 mile in the relative warmth then cycle home in the morning when the world is just waking up. I really love listening to the birds singing and cycling along deserted city roads at the crack of dawn. Its like the opening scenes from 28 days later. (without the zombies though);).......although i do live near middlesbrough so there are a few zombies:biggrin:

The only coping strategy i have for adjusting body clock is come home off a night shift at about 7am and sleep until 3pm then back to work after my last night shift i only sleep until about 11am cos i know im going back to bed later on.

On Day shifts (start at 6 finish at 6) i try to be in bed at about 9.30-10.00 so i get a good 7 hours kip.

I must admit though after working a cycle i still spend my first day off like a bear with a sore head.

The worst thing i find is what to eat whilst on shift ....you eat at odd times and never crave healthy stuff in the middle of a night shift ....its always pizza or some other comfort type food.

Top Bottom