Shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnno1812

L Shifter stopped working on a ride yesterday.. is there any way of knowing if i need a new one without going to a bike shop?

is there any way of knowing if i need a new one without going to a bike shop?
Not if you don't give us some more details.

What sort of shifters have you got?
Does it move but the gears don't change?
Is it stuck?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Touch wood my left hand 105 shifter is still going but occasionally it has jammed and I need to delay my push but I could see somebody easily breaking one!

It's one of the reasons I upgraded my bikes to Ultegra. Had a 105 left hand shifter fail. Check out the t'internet about these things and found a good few reports of 105 failures.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yip, I've read hundreds of stories saying similar and if I had a slightly stronger left hand, Id be joining the broken shifter club :ohmy:

If you've read hundreds of stories re 105 LH shifter failure you maybe need to get out more. :ohmy::laugh:

gavintc

Guru
My 105 left shifter failed last month. It was probably 4 yrs old. Replacement was not cheap, but I now have the new style without the washing lines.

OP
OP
johnno1812

johnno1812

Ultegra 6700 Triple...

It has been playing up the last few months and didnt like shifting up into the big crank from the middle but shifting up from the smallest crank to the middle was fine. Shifting down was no problem either.

I was riding the other day and was switching the big crank a few times with little or no trouble. Until i started talking to another cyclist and started following him went to get into the middle cog and it wouldnt gear down. The shifter was stiff and was like it was locked until i took the gaer cable off the front derailer. reconnected it and it still wont shift.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
105 shifters aren't. Especially the left hand one. It's well known that they can and do fail

Now you tell me. There was me all chuffed with my 105 groupset that I'm swapping over from my GT frame onto my raleigh 531. I'm just going to pretend I never heard you. But if it does go wrong I will blame you.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Now you tell me. There was me all chuffed with my 105 groupset that I'm swapping over from my GT frame onto my raleigh 531. I'm just going to pretend I never heard you. But if it does go wrong I will blame you.

lol.. sorry guv... you can't beat 105 for durability though. It's the workhorse of the Shimano range. Set up right it works perfectly. My shifter did last 3 years before it went kaput, and that then was an opportunity to upgrade to Ultegra.

Top Bottom