Shifters / Brakes for bullhorn bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
One other quick Q before I get my credit card out - my brakes are Hayes MX4 mechanical disk brakes. They seem to be very adjustable in terms of pull range and brake lever sensitivity - they have an alan key adjuster on the brake that can change the braking from a wide range on the lever or a really tight 'give the lever a light touch and the wheel locks up' level of sensitivity.

From this, might I be safe to assume that any brake lever will do the job? If it's so adjustable, does the exact amount of cable pulled by the lever matter too much as I can compensate for this brake-end to get it right for what I want?

ITM and Tektro aero brake levers seem to go for £15-20. Would I be safe to order a pair of these? They certainly seem to be spot on dimensions wise.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ok, well pics uploaded to members galleries:-

http://www.cyclechat.net/gallery/album/4072/82-mtb-6-speed-friction-shifters/

If these look ok then PM me your address and they can go in post tomorrow, I'll include the cable inners and outers but they are in pretty dreadful shape. The one with the cap on saying Shimano was the front shifter, the rear has just the bare screw....cheers....Al

RedBike

I've not really had time to look at those thumbies properly but two things worry me.

The clamp for the thumbie shifter would be pressing into the palm of your hand when your on the brakes. This would be perfectly fine for a short ride but probably less than ideal for longer rides.

I'm not sure thumbies are designed for the right bar diameter, this probably explains why they've got tape under them.

Have a google search for some bar end shifters (What you find on time trial bikes)

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I thought I posted this earlier, but it's gone astray. Anyway, for another take on the problem...
Like Porkypete says, bar-end shifters the other way round. Salvaged crappy school-bike brake levers turned backwards for cable neatness.
http://picasaweb.goo...316751279919634

That is a beautiful looking bike - is it yours?

I'm still not sure of the ergonomics of bar end shifters - think it is something I should try at least.

I take your point Red that they could potentially be uncomfortable - I shall give them a go and if I don't get on then switch to some bar ends ... ah ... hangon, bar end shifters won't go with bar end brakes - are there combined bar end shifters & brakes available and affordable?

MacB

That is a beautiful looking bike - is it yours?

I'm still not sure of the ergonomics of bar end shifters - think it is something I should try at least.

I take your point Red that they could potentially be uncomfortable - I shall give them a go and if I don't get on then switch to some bar ends ... ah ... hangon, bar end shifters won't go with bar end brakes - are there combined bar end shifters & brakes available and affordable?

if you find any let me know, I couldn't, all the workarounds I've seen mount the brake lever inside the bar end as standard and then use some sort of mount/bracket to get the thumb shifter next to it.

I like the workaround above, from Roll On, with the upside down normal brake levers and the standard bar end shifters. I think that's one I may mess with some time.

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

Have a google for Bionicon Urban Road:

My link

Could that sort of a config do (I don't mean just the one shifter)?

It's got V-brakes, bullhorns, and bar-end shifters.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thanks - I've seen some suitable looking old mountain bike thumb shifters going quite cheap. Any idea what the standard handlebar diameter I can expect for these, or are they fairly adjustable? Done some measuring and it appears my bars are 22mm - seems the internal diameter would be fine for aero brakes, although if they are a little large I guess a rubber strip will be fine for bulking them out?

I use an old thumb shifter on my tandem... not as a shifter but to operate the 3rd (drum) brake. It's clamped right near at the end of the left drop bar. Didn't have any diameter issues, and in that position the securing bolt doesn't get in the way of my hands. It was a solution developed by discussion in the tandem club forum...because I wanted to keep the actual bar end position free for bar end shifters (if I ever get around to converting it from DT shifters)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hi,

Have a google for Bionicon Urban Road:

My link

Could that sort of a config do (I don't mean just the one shifter)?

It's got V-brakes, bullhorns, and bar-end shifters.

That is one nice solution.... I want some of those brake levers.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Yes, I saw some a bar-end-shifters-and-bar-end-brakes combo on sjs, (reverse-pull brakes a la time trial set-up, but fixing into the bar-end shifter mounts) but they are not cheap, I'm afraid. £70 for a pair of brake levers. Yes that's my strange but loveable bike!
http://www.sjscycles...Lever-19042.htm

Neat engineering solution, but to my way of thinking the brake lever wants to be directly under the bar end - not stuck out to the side like that.

MacB

Neat engineering solution, but to my way of thinking the brake lever wants to be directly under the bar end - not stuck out to the side like that.

hmm, I thought similar, I actually felt that the upside down v-brake levers looked a neater prospect.

Looking at the design of an aero lever and a bar end shifter, the insertion point is really for anchorage, I'm sure a enater solution could be devised if they feel a mraket exists. The one on SJS is the equivalent of sticking a bolt on the side.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
wonder whether these would work even though they are designed as interupter levers

I'm sure they'd work - unfortunately the cables will be pointing the wrong way, unless I mount them backwards. Not sure I like the look of backwards mounting. Fnar.

Something like them but with the cables pointing backwards would be spot on - still not totally sure about bar end brakes as 1. I'm not sure where the cables go (through the bars?) and; 2. I'd have to ditch them if I decide to go bar end shifters.

Example:
http://www.highonbikes.com/tektro-rx4-1-aero-alloy-time-trail-brake-levers.html

Where DO the cables go on these?

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'm sure they'd work - unfortunately the cables will be pointing the wrong way, unless I mount them backwards. Not sure I like the look of backwards mounting. Fnar.

Something like them but with the cables pointing backwards would be spot on - still not totally sure about bar end brakes as 1. I'm not sure where the cables go (through the bars?) and; 2. I'd have to ditch them if I decide to go bar end shifters.

Example:
http://www.highonbik...ake-levers.html

Where DO the cables go on these?

Doh ... silly me.

The description on those Tektro TT levers says external cable routing so they are probably a bit like the ones on my fixed - but as you say - stuffs up the bar end if you want shifters there.

fixrdbrakes.jpg

You can see the cable end ferrule just poking out from under the bar tape....

Top Bottom