Shifters / Brakes for bullhorn bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g00se

Veteran
I'm sure they'd work - unfortunately the cables will be pointing the wrong way, unless I mount them backwards. Not sure I like the look of backwards mounting. Fnar.

Interruptor levers work differently than regular levers. They're for putting on the tops of drop bars which already have regular road brake levers. The cable comes out of the road levers, under the bar tape, out into the 'front' of the interruptor, out of the back or the interruptor (under the lever) and then back under the bar tape and off to the brakes.

They work by pushing the outer sleeve cable towards the brakes - the inner wire cable does not move.

To use these, you would need to find a way to attach the inner cable ends to the end of the bullhorns - maybe putting a slot to 'capture' the nipple on the end (Fnar2).

However, these are designed for cyclocross bikes (they're sometimes called cross levers) so I would imagine that the levers won't have enough pull for v-brakes (so you're back to square one again).

mattsccm

I have used old style, exposed cable ( not under the tape) brake levers with V brakes. They work fine. I reckon the amount of cable pulled is different to modern levers. The clamp nicely at the ends of the bull bars and cause not problems. Old style thumbies mounted outside the bars can be used easily.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
What I really want is normal thumshifters mounted on the straight bit of the bar.

As it's clearly impossible to get some 23.8mm thumbshifters, let alone 31.8 ones, I might get the mounts of my XC Expert ones machined out to 23.8 from 22.2mm. If I can find anyone to do the work!

Failing that, I might buy one of those motorbike mirror mounts and fit the shifters to a small 'accessory bar.'

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
What I really want is normal thumshifters mounted on the straight bit of the bar.

As it's clearly impossible to get some 23.8mm thumbshifters, let alone 31.8 ones, I might get the mounts of my XC Expert ones machined out to 23.8 from 22.2mm. If I can find anyone to do the work!

Failing that, I might buy one of those motorbike mirror mounts and fit the shifters to a small 'accessory bar.'

Oh yes you can :biggrin: Pauls Engineering thumbie mounts:-

http://www.paulcomp.com/rdthumbie.html

or at least for standard 26mm road bars, I expect they'll bring out a 31.8mm version, they have in the other product lines

3narf

For whom the bell dings
*Gulp!* The thought of butchering my lovely XC Expert thumbshifters... Might be the only way.

1 1/2 mm is quite a bit to take off, though!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
*Gulp!* The thought of butchering my lovely XC Expert thumbshifters... Might be the only way.

1 1/2 mm is quite a bit to take off, though!

I used a metal file to ream out the inner clamp diameter on a pair of shifter pods, 3x9 speed. They fitted round the bends onto the top of a set of drop bars but I wasn't happy with the amount of space taken and the position. I've sold them on now but it is feasible, took about 20 mins. Not the tidiest of jobs with a file but I didn't have a suitable flappy wheel.

Sorry, just to add you can only get them onto the normal section, hence the space issues, they'll never fit on to the clamp area like a proper pair of thumb mounts would.

Top Bottom