Shifting Problem (Part 4)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With a problem like this you need to narrow it down and eliminate possible problem areas.

If you carry out the steps I listed at post #3 then you’ll know whether the problem lies upstream of the cable connection to the derailleur, or downstream.

Which is it?

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

With a problem like this you need to narrow it down and eliminate possible problem areas.

If you carry out the steps I listed at post #3 then you’ll know whether the problem lies upstream of the cable connection to the derailleur, or downstream.

Which is it?
I'm away from home for a day or two but will return to the problem on Monday. I am hoping it's something as simple as a sticking shifter. I have tried to eliminate any other possible cause.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And all that friction doesn't cause slow shifts? Fair play it works.
Far from it. The shifts are quick, predictable and long-term reliable. I think the full length outer is a far better solution as it removes nearly all the entry points for dirt and contamination to get in. It won't enter at the shifter and the only other opening is at the mech which is the lowest point so tends to drain out anyway.
The only downside is maybe the extra weight, but personally I would much rather have 100% reliable shifting than save a few grammes.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Ok guys, with gear cable wrapped around my hand, the shifter is fine and there is no excessive play in the jockey wheels.

Using the derailleur hanger gauge, the measurements with the wheel pointing at 6 & 12 'o' clock are equal, but at 9 & 3 'o' clock there was a 10mm difference. Hope this makes sense. Will this affect the shifting?

PS. Anyone know how to remove a rounded hex bolt?

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Re: the rounded hex bolt. I bought this from Screwfix and worked a treat. It's not a 2 minute job but it gets a result and doesn't cost a lot. I've since used these drills a few times so in my case it was money well spent.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolt-extractor-set-5-pieces/1112v
Thanks John.

Top Bottom