Shimano 10 to 11 speed compatability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

reacher

You've lost me chaps, I'm trying to ascertain which parts of 11 speed are compatible with 10 speed, it's got nothing to do with 10 speed is ok so why bother going to 11 speed, the 10 speed shifters are virtually the same as 11 speed in price and according to all the reviews are a much better shifter. I don't see much value in paying the same price for older technology as new. Or are you saying their not a better shifter ?

Broadside

Guru
I agree, you were not asking about moving to full 11spd but what you are getting back are peoples experience.

Even if the shifters are the same price the total cost will be much higher by going with the 11spd option as you will have to spend a minimum extra £50 (£30 cassette, £20 chain), providing your rear wheel is already compatible.

I have Shimano 105 10spd, my wife's bike has 105 11spd and hers is much nicer to use but I have never changed mine because it would involve a lot of faffing about and extra cost for a small gain which I deemed not to be worth it.

If you don't mind the extra cost and fitting the parts then go for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reacher

Ok i see what our getting at, it's nothing to do with trying to upgrade a bike it's purely I need at some stage to move the current kit to a winter bike and put new on the summer bike so if I'm going to buy some new stuff I don't really want to be buying older technology at the same price as newer better stuff if I can get it to match up without too much cost seeing as i already have a brand new chainset all well and good if not i can go for the 10 speed. To be honest I would have expected the 10 speed shifters to be quite a bit cheaper than the newer 11 speed anyway, most of the 11 speed stuff seems to be hardly that much difference in price

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To give you an answer, you'll need new shifters, rear mech, chain and cassette.

Your rear hub may or may not be compatible depending in manufacturer. Shimano isn't, But mavic are.

You may need a new chainset but it should work.

OP
OP
R

reacher

Ok that narrows it down , has anyone actually used a 10 speed chain set on 11 speed and can tell me does it run properly or just ok, I'm not sure I want just ok, in which case I would stick with 10 speed

S-Express

Ok that narrows it down , has anyone actually used a 10 speed chain set on 11 speed and can tell me does it run properly or just ok, I'm not sure I want just ok, in which case I would stick with 10 speed

It does. As explained above, there is no difference in either chainring spacing or teeth width. I am using such a setup right now.

si_c

Guru
And just to mix it up more, I've used 11 speed chainset and derailleurs with a 10speed setup no problems (not including shifters as I use friction on that bike).

zigzag

Veteran
if it's shimano, don't forget the brakes. 10sp brakes will not be compatible with the 11sp levers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use 9 speed chains on my 8 speed bikes. Your main issue is the change in pull ratio shimano made at 11 speed. The most annoying thing was shimano 8,9,10 compatible wheels weren't compatible with 11 speed. But Mavic and a number of others, used a 1mm shim already on the 10s cassettes, so the new 11 speed still fitted.

Most Shimano 8-10 speed kit was interchangeable (except DA 7400).

OP
OP
R

reacher

Ok I'm maybe thinking its more trouble than its worth unless theirs a major difference in performance between 10 and 11 speed shifters can anyone say how much difference/improvement their is between the two

S-Express

Ok I'm maybe thinking its more trouble than its worth unless theirs a major difference in performance between 10 and 11 speed shifters can anyone say how much difference/improvement their is between the two

No difference. One click on the shifter = one sprocket on the rear - same as before.

zigzag

Veteran
Probably a slight over-statement. They both operate in the same way, so they will still work. They may not work quite as well, but still....
they will sort of work, there will be very little modulation, like using v-brake levers with the traditional road calipers. a combination to be avoided. should have added that i was talking about the older 10sp brakes, designed to work with the levers that have gear cables exposed.

OP
OP
R

reacher

No difference. One click on the shifter = one sprocket on the rear - same as before.

So does sora and tiagra I'm guessing, however I'm unlikely to consider those options for the same reasons as most people they want something better if they can get it

Last edited:
Top Bottom