Shimano 10 to 11 speed compatability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reacher

On a shimano 6700 10 speed set up if i change the shifters to the new ultegra 11 speed will i still be able to use the 10 speed chainset currently fitted ?
Also will the 11 speed chains run on it ?
I'm assuming i will have to change the rear mech, is their anything else that will need to be changed ?
cheers

si_c

Guru
On a shimano 6700 10 speed set up if i change the shifters to the new ultegra 11 speed will i still be able to use the 10 speed chainset currently fitted ?
Also will the 11 speed chains run on it ?
I'm assuming i will have to change the rear mech, is their anything else that will need to be changed ?
cheers

If you change the shifters you need to change the cassette and chain (narrower pitch between sprockets) and also your rear wheel if it won't take 11speed cassettes.

Your chainset should be fine, and your derailleurs may be fine, i don't know if the pull ratio has changed between 6700 and 6800, if it hasn't the your current ones will work fine.

lpretro1

Pull is different on rear derailleur and you may find using th 10spod crankset isn't very smooth either

OP
OP
R

reacher

I wondered about that on the chainset, are you saying that from experiance or what others have said ?

S-Express

No reason why a 10spd chainset will not work. The chain is still 3/32, so the internal width is the same.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've seen chainsets supplied with very thin shims/washers to adjust the spacing between the rings. I assumed that it was to optimise the spacing for 10 or 11 speed, or maybe 9 or 10 speed? (Use or don't use the shims as required.)

lpretro1

It's not really the spacing - the 10spd teeth are a bit fatter so the 11spd chain doesn't seem to run/change as smoothly as a result. It will usually work just a bit rough for my liking and it is a shame as the 11spd stuff is very smooth

Don't want to spoil the thread (and folks by all means continue to offer good tech advice) but I can't help asking why you want to cause yourself all the bother? Sure you are not being caught up in the contemporary bike industry's merry tricks?

It's not really the spacing - the 10spd teeth are a bit fatter so the 11spd chain doesn't seem to run/change as smoothly as a result. It will usually work just a bit rough for my liking and it is a shame as the 11spd stuff is very smooth

This^

OP
OP
R

reacher

Don't want to spoil the thread (and folks by all means continue to offer good tech advice) but I can't help asking why you want to cause yourself all the bother? Sure you are not being caught up in the contemporary bike industry's merry tricks?

I don't understand, what are you saying ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't understand, what are you saying ?
I think he is suggesting that 10-speed is fine so why bother going for 11?

I have a 10-speed 12-30 (Campagnolo) cassette on my CAAD5 and I am very happy with that but if I had a bike with an 11-32 cassette then I would probably prefer 11-speed to get the wider range without more big steps between sprockets.

S-Express

It's not really the spacing - the 10spd teeth are a bit fatter so the 11spd chain doesn't seem to run/change as smoothly as a result.

10spd chainring teeth are not 'fatter' though, as the internal width of a 10spd chain is the same as an 11spd chain. There should be no difference in the width of the teeth. The cassette teeth are narrower, but that is principally so you can squeeze another sprocket on the back.

Top Bottom