Shimano 105 5700 calipers with 5600 shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
V

vanhulle

5700 and 4600 are supposed to work fine it's 5600 and 5700 that's not, according to Shimano. Still the mystery continues.

bobones

Veteran
All the current range of Shimano road calipers use the "New Super SLR" system except the long reach BR-R650 and BR-R451 models which are just "Super SLR" compatible. The new levers pull more cable and to quote Shimano blurb: "New Super SLR Design relocates the brake lever pivot for better mechanical advantage. Synchronized with the new brake arch pivot a greater level of modulation and power are available from the tops of the brake hoods".

My winter bike has BR-R450 long reach "super SLR" calipers and I noticed a drop in braking performance when I fitted new 5700 levers after my old ones broke. They felt so weak and mushy that I was moving from the hoods to the drops to stop the bike. Nevertheless, after a few rides getting used to them I now don't notice that they used to be better!

I have no doubt that the 5700 callipers will work with the 5600 levers but they won't be optimal for sure. From what I can tell, you'll have too much mechanical advantage with the older levers and you should move the pads away from the rims so that the levers travel a good distance before biting to get reasonable modulation.

e-rider

crappy member
I've seen a good deal on some new 5700 brakes, but have 5600 shifters at the moment, now officially these are not supposed to work but just wondered if anyone has any real world experience of this set up and if so is it ok and the warnings just marketing, or am I likely to end up in hospital if I pair the two?
Many thanks in advance.
I wonder what the difference is pull ratio is? I bet it makes no 'real' difference - however, if you crash and die don't pin it on me, so I'm saying don't do it (for the record).

Top Bottom